Florescent bulbs and fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

Hi I am looking at a job where we would remove 60 of so 2x4 lay in fixture can some on point me in the proper way to dispose of these in North NJ

Cavie

Hi I am looking at a job where we would remove 60 of so 2x4 lay in fixture can some on point me in the proper way to dispose of these in North NJ

You can buy recycle shippling boxes on line of from your supply house and the fixtures go to the Scrap/recycle yard.

K2X

If the ballast are pre 1978 then they would have pcb's and they should be disposed of properly. The way you can tell is #1) The label doesnt say "no pcb's" but sometimes the label is damaged. Almost all of the old ballast have a year stamped on the back. The quick check is to look for the old cloth or heavy rubber wiring which would very likely be pre 78 and pcb. Our local bulb shop will take pcb ballast for $2 each maybe $3 now for the standard 4 pounders.

Most of the metal scrap recylcers around here won't take any ballast because they are afraid of getting stuck with pcb's but the educated recyclers will give us 40 cents each for non pcb's.

Status
Not open for further replies.