Working Clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipster

I have an electrical room or an equipment room. As one enters the room, there is an industrial control panel with 120V, at 20A directly to left on wall. The swing of the entry door encroaches into the working space (36") of the panel. Is this a violation of 110.26 as the panel has the clearance when the door is closed, which is closed except when entering or egress? The door cannot be locked as it is designated for egress.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It has the advantage of making it impossible for the working clearance space to be used for storage.

Sounds clear

Sounds clear

Sounds pretty clear to me if the door is open at any time it there is a 110.26 violation
it is shown clearly in the handbook

mcclary's electrical

What if it's the opposite. What if the panel is in a closet. With a 30" door open, you have your working space. With the door shut, it's a violation. Is it legal? I priced a service change in a closet under stairs in this scenario. The door is right in front of the panel, with it open you're good, with it closed, it's illegal. But who's gonna close the door behind them to work on the panel? The closet is 30" deep

Last edited:

chipster

Working Clearance

This was flagged because of an "Egress" scenario if the door to the panel was open while someone was in there making measurements etc. It was flagged as a 110.26 violation. My opinion,as most of the others, is that the panel is compliant. With the exception of entrance and exit, the door to the room will be closed.

Cold Fusion

chip -
Just curious - nothing to do with your question:

I'm surprised that an egress door opens into the electrical room. Usually one is trying to get away from the fire - not step back toward it while you open the door.

Is that what you are telling us?

Cold Fusion

I'm not going to comment of the legal aspect - rather the design issues for maintenance.

If it were me that had to work the panel, and the door could be opened and would hit me in the butt, whilst I had my hands in the panel - I'd absolutely have the door blocked so it could not open.

This: "The door cannot be locked as it is designated for egress" would not matter one bit - it would be blocked while I was working the panel.

cf

chipster

Working Clearance

The door opens into the room from the hallway or corridor. I should not have said electrical room, as it is more of an equipment room with HVAC DDC controllers and such.

chipster

Working Clearance

I should not have said electrical room. There is HVAC DDC controllers etc. in this room. The door opens from the corridor or hallway into the room. I would hate to be walking down the corridor and have someone open the door into my face.

chipster

Working Clearance

Thanks for your input "Fusion". I agree with you. This is simply a room with a DDC controller in close to the entrance of the room. In my opinion there is no "Egress" problem here. I also agree and recommended that while one is making terminations, adjusting or measuring voltage levels, that he/she install boundary tape in front of the door with signage.

Cold Fusion

.... In my opinion there is no "Egress" problem here. I also agree and recommended that while one is making terminations, adjusting or measuring voltage levels, that he/she install boundary tape in front of the door with signage.
Okay, but why screw around with tape? As you said, there is no egress issue. Put a lock on the door. You can get one that will flip open when using the inside handle. This might even convince your flagger-of-the-issue that there is no clearance issue.

cf

Status
Not open for further replies.