RJ 45 connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I need to make up about thirty RJ 45 connectors on cat6 for a lighting control system.(Apprentice II) I watched a couple you tube videos so now I'm an expert.:roll:

I will need a cable prep/crimping tool. Any recommendations? Any I need to stay away from?

Are there any manufactures connectors you prefer over others?

Thank you.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Try to buy the RJ-45 connectors/crimper that allow the conductor to pass complete through and out of the front. This will allow you to double check the color code before you crimp. The crimper will cut the conductors off flush with the front of the connector.

chris kennedy

Occupation
But how are your eyes? I recommend giving the task to a young guy. :grin:

I have 3 pairs of readers and carry a 3x, 6x, 9x magnifier in my tool bag. Sounds like a good job for my son.

Thanks for the links Bob.:)

walkerj

I HATE terminating cat5

I made the mistake of telling my boss when the company opened that I could do phone/cable/internet.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have some Ideal tools I bought at HD and am happy with them.

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/Ho...og/04371ea1-2e28-428a-a868-1531c8d45c99_4.jpg

I would also get the inexpensive Ideal tester that will check continuity and proper placements.

http://www.buy.com/prod/ideal-linkm...rj-45-network-remote/q/loc/101/207941017.html

But how are your eyes? I recommend giving the task to a young guy. :grin:
I use the exact same stripper/crimper and tester. I made a pair of 6" jumpers for the tester for testing runs with jacks.

I also wear reading glasses when making them up. :cool: (1.75 power)

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I HATE terminating cat5
Oh, it's not bad. I have some small round plates from Leviton that hold keystones for punching down without killing your palm.

I made the mistake of telling my boss when the company opened that I could do phone/cable/internet.
Your mistake was in not telling him you expect a premium for LV work. He should certainly be charging one.

iwire

Staff member

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have lopsided vision.
Here you go:

sugarkane_psfk.jpg

mcclary's electrical

Chris, if possible Cat 5 will speed you vs cat 6.

I realize if it's a job spec there's nothing you can do, but if it soesn't matter, definately go with 5 they'll make up twice as fast (or close)

chris kennedy

Occupation
Chris, if possible Cat 5 will speed you vs cat 6.

I realize if it's a job spec there's nothing you can do, but if it soesn't matter, definately go with 5 they'll make up twice as fast (or close)

Too late Jerry, the cat6 is installed, around 1500' of it. Cat5 was speced but I got the cat6 for the wee fee of free. I saw on You-Tube that I need a connector specifically designed for cat6. Hope those are readily available.

mcclary's electrical

Too late Jerry, the cat6 is installed, around 1500' of it. Cat5 was speced but I got the cat6 for the wee fee of free. I saw on You-Tube that I need a connector specifically designed for cat6. Hope those are readily available.

They are definately readily available,,,,but the connector for cat 5 compared the connector for cat 6 would have saved you alot of time when you make these up

MAK

I like pulling cat 6 over cat cat5 because it does not kink as much, well at least the kind with the four way "spline" in it.

This is what I use for terminations right now:http://www.paladin-tools.com/view_tool.php?id=552&parent_id=77
I liked that the grips for the crimper stay on the handles. I have had two pair of the Ideal version and the grips always slide off really easy after a little while. That gets a little frustrating.

I use this tool to test for proper terminations (straight through or cross over):http://ideal.datacomtools.com/idealcatalog/multimedia-testers.htm
I liked this tool because it was only $100. and you can tone out coax, UTP, and the screen results for network terminations are much easier to read and interpret. I thought it was worth it.

chris kennedy

Occupation
Update

Update

Thanks for the help. Got the tools and connectors, went to try them out today and found that my guys used 16-4 instead of cat6. Place is already rocked so I'll be doing the attic crawl tomorrow. Mondays!:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.