Outlets per circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl H

Ham,,,,you make wiring a house very expensive:D

I don't think Ham was speaking about a residential setting.
Commercial/Industrial are typically a bit more loaded than a
residence. It is very common in my area, when load is not known
to limit the devices to (6) receptacles per circuit. In houses, put all the
general use receptacles on one circuit, compliant yes, design wise
the customer may place bad marks on your report card! :grin:

kwired

Electron manager
I've done a few... Including a 2000sq' "entry" that the designers and Arch's wanted no recepticals in - had to twist some arms to get them with the backing of an inspector. The "Entry" was larger than most homes... Getting a few outlets was like pulling teeth. Bedrooms no matter how big there is less resistance of need - placement is another story...

A room that big and nothing will ever be in there that needs to be plugged in to use?

One may be able to argue that an "entry" does not fit into 210.52(A) but no outlets at all is ridiculous, they will probably find something they want plugged in within first week after move in.

Can't say I've seen an "entry" this large, does it look like it could be a hotel lobby, or is there really a good reason for designers (from their point of view) to not want any receptacles. Even hotel lobbies have receptacles in them.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Voltage drop would limit the number by length.

Even if you know the length, how do you calculate the VD with knowing the load on each receptacle?

In any case, the conductors could be sized appropriately and we're back to putting as many as we want on the circuit.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
url

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Now, in Bob's picture, putting all of these on one circuit would also simplify labeling the panel. :grin:

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
could be wall paper with carefully placed real receptacles so they blend in:grin: why else would they not plug into receptacles behind the equipment instead of well above it?

Or they could have installed all required receptacles in the house in one wall:cool:

Electron_Sam78

Since the NEC, in article 220 requires 180 VA per receptacle when doing load calcs I use that as a guideline: 20a circuit = 2400 VA / 180 = 13.3 so no more than 13 receptacles on a 20 amp circuit and no more than 10 on a 15a circuit

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Since the NEC, in article 220 requires 180 VA per receptacle when doing load calcs I use that as a guideline: 20a circuit = 2400 VA / 180 = 13.3 so no more than 13 receptacles on a 20 amp circuit and no more than 10 on a 15a circuit
Now, show that the actual wiring must be installed to match the load calcs. ;)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
could be wall paper with carefully placed real receptacles so they blend in:grin: why else would they not plug into receptacles behind the equipment instead of well above it?
Maybe the cords and wall-warts are printed on the paper, too. ;)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Read the article section a little closer.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Edit:

I didn't say it had to be done I just said I use it as a guideline. Actually if there's were a room that had 13 receptacles I divide it into 2 circuits :)

But, you did say the NEC requires 180 VA for receptacles and this is not the case for residential applications.

Roger

Cold Fusion

...I didn't say it had to be done I just said I use it as a guideline. ...

But, you did say the NEC requires 180 VA for receptacles and this is not the case for residential applications.

Roger

Sam -
I got it - first time you said it. 180va required for load calc - residential not specified. And, it is your preference to use that as a guideline.

Sounds reasonable to me for you to choose that.

cf

Status
Not open for further replies.