Finally! No blue boxes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

Our local Lowes electrical blue boxes have turned black. Most all of them from pop-ins to bracket light boxes.
They look more proffesional to me. They look better quality, though I am not sure of that.
Has any body else noticed the change ?

If it is the same black boxes that I saw the other day, just a rebandaged Carlon. Still hate 'em. I was so disappointed.

I really wish someone would quantify the hatred towards Carlon Blue.

Other than "They're hack", I mean.

I do not like the wire entry setup. Brings the wire too far into the box for me. Hinders making a nice clean cut-in, the manner of a P&S. I have used them many times over the years through choice or force and my opinion remains the same.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
#10 AWG stranded White THHN 500' :

Supply house - $72.50
Lowes - $95.00

They're gonna have to try harder ;)
So are you. :) The blue and orange stores will sometimes match supply-house pricing. They know they don't only compete with each other. Department heads have discretion, especially if the guy knows you.

Funny you used the #10 white stranded as an example. That's exactly what I bought a couple of weeks ago, and I got it from the orange store because the guy matched the price I got while I was on the phone.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What I have observed is that no one likes to admit they shop at Lowe's but I have seen the service trucks from many different companies there.
I admit it. I price, then decide how far I'm willing to drive to save how much money. I use my cell phone instead of driving needlessly.

Folks if I only need one breaker that I don't have stocked I'll buy it at Ace Hardware rather than drive 20 miles. If you think of the cost of time and fuel the price on many small items doesn't really matter.
Agreed. See above.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I really wish someone would quantify the hatred towards Carlon Blue.
I've never had an issue with them, other than guys who think the clamps are supposed to be broken out. :roll:

I like the original blues better than the Super Blues. I most dislike brittle boxes, like the brown ones. Yuck! :mad:

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You need to include labor in your "shopping" decisions. I have not seen a big enough price difference locally to make up for my order being ready and loaded in my truck at the wholesale house. In and out in about 5 minutes. If I am doing a bigger job I get it delivered to the project for free. Tough to beat that when I have somebody (me) wandering around HD looking for something.
There's also something to be said about being able to find wiring materials, fixtures, ceiling fans, screws, nails, other hardware, drywall repair materials, plumbing, etc. stuff all at one store, especially if it's 1/4th as far away as the nearest electrical-only supplier.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I think it relates to the tabs on the side of the boxes that are supposedly set for 1/2" drywall, they are on the short side thus leaving the box set too far into the wall.
Yeah, but how long does it take to remember that and hold the box where it should be. Not every wall surface is 1/2" anyway, so one should be aware and alert when setting boxes.

peter d

I like the original blues better than the Super Blues.

Me too. The Super Blues wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have those small round nubs in the back of the box that interferes with getting the cable into the box. If they would just eliminate those and smooth the back of the box out, they'd be fine.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
A 3/8" tab on a box makes no sense. Good luck lining up a box with a barely visible vertical line. Poor design.

Well the tab is for the most shallow setting, and once you notice the markings, it really isn't that hard to set the boxes properly. I just noticed this myself over the winter.

Ravenvalor

Lowes & Home Depot

Lowes & Home Depot

The big box stores have taken the residential lighting and lamp and hand tool markets from the supply houses. I like to give the rest of my business to the supply houses. Another thing I dislike about the big box stores is they actively advertise electrical contracting. So every dime you spend in Lowe's or HD you are supporting your competitor.

ty

I think it relates to the tabs on the side of the boxes that are supposedly set for 1/2" drywall, they are on the short side thus leaving the box set too far into the wall. I personally like and use the grey Slaters or better yet, Allied Molded.

We use P&S boxes, almost exclusively.

Most all 2x4 or 2x6 wall studs have a rounded edge. If you push a plastic nail on box until it hits the stud edge, it is back too far. You have to gain a 'look and feel' for where the box should be.
Remeber, if the tabs hit the stud edge, it's back too far. hold it out a bit.

Plus, on the trim-out, it is easier to bang a plastic box back an 1/8 or 1/4 inch than it is to move it out that same distance.

mtfallsmikey

I've never had an issue with them, other than guys who think the clamps are supposed to be broken out. :roll:

We all thought they were supposed to be broken out in the beginning didn't we?

I like the original blues better than the Super Blues. I most dislike brittle boxes, like the brown ones. Yuck! :mad:

Just buy Steel City, and paint them blue...
I actually kind of liked the brown boxes...won't rack cockeyed on the stud when you nail 'em on like the blues do.

peter d

Actually, there is one major benefit to using the brown Union boxes, and that's the built in "Plaster Seal" feature over the screw holes. The majority of homes in my area get blueboard and plaster as opposed to taped seams, so using the Union boxes eliminates having to go around and tape up the screw holes with masking tape.

Regardless, you still have to remove plaster out of the boxes. The plaster guys seem happy to plaster them shut if they could.

Rich R

Here is one that has had me stumped for a few days. In this pic you see 4 old 1970's fan speed controllers and the striped shiny wall paper...but they use blue plastic boxes ? I didn't think they had them back then.

I have been doing this work since 1990 and even then I don't remember seeing the blue boxes. These blue cut in boxes even have metal wings on them.

Horst

Color coded...

Color coded...

If you look closely you will see that the black boxes are for new construction, the white are for old work, green are for low voltage... Romex just thought of everything! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.