Fire Alarm NEC art. 760.136(D)(1)and(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKramer

If I am reading this correctly, I can run power limited and 120vac in enclosures and (i'm assuming) short conduit nipples so long as I maintain spacing and are only serving the power limited equipment.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If I am reading this correctly, I can run power limited and 120vac in enclosures and (i'm assuming) short conduit nipples so long as I maintain spacing and are only serving the power limited equipment.
I don't see anything that lets you mix the conductors in a common raceway.

MAK

What exactly do they mean in 760.136 (D)2 (A) when they say "provided these power-limited cable conductors extending beyond the jacket are separated by a minimum of 6 mm (0.25 in.)"

I thought that meant that it is permitted to run power limited fire alarm cable through a nipple into an enclosure with class 1 power as long as they are both used solely to connect to equipment in the enclosure (like a fire alarm power supply).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What exactly do they mean in 760.136 (D)2 (A) when they say "provided these power-limited cable conductors extending beyond the jacket are separated by a minimum of 6 mm (0.25 in.)"

I thought that meant that it is permitted to run power limited fire alarm cable through a nipple into an enclosure with class 1 power as long as they are both used solely to connect to equipment in the enclosure (like a fire alarm power supply).
I still do not see any thing in 760.136(D) that applies to a nipple or raceway. It only applies to "compartments, enclosures, device boxes, outlet boxes, or similar fittings". It is my opinion that the section you quoted permits you to run jacketed power limited cables within compartments, enclosures, device boxes, outlet boxes, or similar fittings without any separation from power circuits. The separation is only required after you strip the jacket off.

MAK

I still do not see any thing in 760.136(D) that applies to a nipple or raceway. It only applies to "compartments, enclosures, device boxes, outlet boxes, or similar fittings". It is my opinion that the section you quoted permits you to run jacketed power limited cables within compartments, enclosures, device boxes, outlet boxes, or similar fittings without any separation from power circuits. The separation is only required after you strip the jacket off.

So what do they mean by "similar fittings"? I thought fittings were referring to conduit fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.