Wire Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teaspoon

Nice Discussion On number of wires allowed in wire nut connection.
Here is another question, how do you like to make those connections?
Personally when I make my connection lets say a 3 wire connection.
I strip my wires to be spliced a little longer than needed,then twist the 3 wires together with my lineman pliers, cut the excess wire off the end,
then put my wire nut on, Tighten the wire nut with my Ideal wire nut screw driver.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
My method, strip off about 1" to 1.25", twist them all together at once with linemen's, , trim off excess, turn on wirenut by hand.

hardworkingstiff

My method, strip off about 1" to 1.25", twist them all together at once with linemen's, , trim off excess, turn on wirenut by hand.

That's the way I do solid wires, stranded I put the ends of the wire to the same length without twisting, then turn the wire nut on by hand. After tightening, I hold the wire nut in one hand and give a tug on each individual wire conductor to see if it will pull out. Too often with stranded wire a wire that might have been just short of the same length as the others will push down in the wire nut and not be bit into by the spring.

I have a very difficult time using the B2 style wire nuts with stranded wire, I much prefer the old style Ideal wire nuts for stranded wire.

Ravenvalor

Wago

Wago

I strip them and plug them into a wago. (sorry forum, I just can't resist opening it up again:grin:

You are the first electrician I've never met that uses the push in type connectors. Which makes a superior connection the push-in or the wire nut? My carpel tunnel syndrome would hopefully dissipate if I could start using the push in type.

There's been a number of threads on this subject here at Mike Holt's, and many are dead set against them.

Personally, I've never had a failure, but I've taught my guys to take 2 seconds and ensure that they are properly installed(wago's and ideals have clear windows so you can visually ensure the wires are all properly seated).

I believe they're a great help with carpal tunnel or repetitive stress injuries of the fingers and wrists. They're also faster.

220/221

I'm not a pretwister.

Cut wires the same lengths, strip wires, grip wires tightly with ends lined up, twist nut until the wires start to twist around each other. Finsih tightening with needle nose on the wings if there are a crapload of wires in the nut or if it's a MWBC neutral.

I'm thinking of making the switch to wagos. I really really like them in the recessed cans.

danno223

New member here. I've always used tan twisters, tightened with the 5/16 end of an old Klein 10 in 1, and grays tightened with a 7/16 nut driver. It really saves time and your fingers. I just started a new job, and can't believe they pre-twist and use the red and yellow wings. I've already gotten them looking into switching. It's so much easier, especially for solid.

mivey

That's me, being sure the insulation from all conductors ends at the same linear point, that all bare conductors have made it to the trim point, and that there is enough twist so all conductors have tension before the wire nut is applied (all conductors should have some twist if the joint is separated).

rt66electric

don't twist---- I like the money

don't twist---- I like the money

I, have made two service calls this week----- Find the loose untwisted connection, re-strip, twist, put new red wirenut on ( twist her-until-she-is-pregnant), replace device. Parts <$2 labor $75, time-out? less than 1 hour

EASY MONEY

mivey

I, have made two service calls this week----- Find the loose untwisted connection, re-strip, twist, put new red wirenut on ( twist her-until-she-is-pregnant), replace device. Parts <$2 labor $75, time-out? less than 1 hour

EASY MONEY
With Sam Cooke on vocals: "Twistin' The Day Away"

220/221

EASY MONEY

It wasn't one of my jobs.;)

No twist test, 4 #12's

Line up ends.

electrical234.jpg

Twist nut by hand.
electrical235.jpg

Take off nut.
electrical243.jpg

Same type/number of wires pretwisted with sidecutters. Very slight difference.

electrical244.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I may be weird (;)), but I trim the tips to be even, and then gently slip-twist them to round off the corners, so the wirenut screws on farther and grips all of the wires better.

In the pics above, I'd say the tips of the non-pre-twisted wires were better gripped by the spring in the wirenut.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
That's the way I do solid wires, stranded I put the ends of the wire to the same length without twisting, then turn the wire nut on by hand. After tightening, I hold the wire nut in one hand and give a tug on each individual wire conductor to see if it will pull out. Too often with stranded wire a wire that might have been just short of the same length as the others will push down in the wire nut and not be bit into by the spring.

I have a very difficult time using the B2 style wire nuts with stranded wire, I much prefer the old style Ideal wire nuts for stranded wire.
I use to like B2's, thought for a long time they were the best wirenut out there. I won't buy them now; they crack worse than before and I've often had threads pull out of them.

I like the Scotch red and tan or Scotch with yellow skirt. Ideal wingnuts still seem pretty good too. T&B use to have the Merret Max (sp?) that was excellent. I haven't seen them in several years. The original Ideal wirenuts are OK for 2 wires but not as good for more. They do seem more heat resistant. Don't recall the labeled temp rating.

If I'm pigtailing outlets, I twist the hots together, then nut the jumper w/o twist. If I need to replace jumper later, easier to undo it w/o having to open up the others. Good way to keep a ckt live and not interrupt power downline.

Status
Not open for further replies.