trough

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If the AHJ won't permit you to do that, then just run the raceway through the wireway to avoid the issue:D

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
If the AHJ won't permit you to do that, then just run the raceway through the wireway to avoid the issue:D

No one in their right mind would consider that.

Would they???...

DSCN0396-1.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
No one in their right mind would consider that.

Would they???...

DSCN0396-1.jpg

I have done that a few times myself. Every time from what I recall was to find a way to get class 2 controls through a wireway containing power and lighting conductors.

One thing you may want to consider when doing something like this is how much you effectively change the cross sectional area of the wire way.

kwired

Electron manager
Don't see where the "real picky" part came from.

No other words came to mind at the time. But if they are grounded elsewhere 300.10 and 300.12 requirements are met, and if an inspector does not want to think they are then how can he turn down a bonding clamp and bonding wire? I am more concerned about how much cross sectional area is taken up and how much area is required for conductors installed in the wireway.

As I have said I have not done this for the 8X rule but have done it to get class 2 wiring or communications from one side of wireway to other usually with 1/2 or 3/4 inch raceway. Had an electrical room one time with wireway running arournd the entire perimeter of room could not come up with a better way to get class 2 wiring past that wireway.

dcspector

No other words came to mind at the time. But if they are grounded elsewhere 300.10 and 300.12 requirements are met, and if an inspector does not want to think they are then how can he turn down a bonding clamp and bonding wire? I am more concerned about how much cross sectional area is taken up and how much area is required for conductors installed in the wireway.

As I have said I have not done this for the 8X rule but have done it to get class 2 wiring or communications from one side of wireway to other usually with 1/2 or 3/4 inch raceway. Had an electrical room one time with wireway running arournd the entire perimeter of room could not come up with a better way to get class 2 wiring past that wireway.

I see your point. If I am reading 300.12 correctly that all must be mechanically continuous with the exception that is.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I see the conduits and the wireway as independent from each other with 300.10 and 300.12 applying only individually to the raceway and to the wireway, but not requiring any type of connection or bonding to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.