Can you answer this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is not required to be on an emergency system?

a) Emergency lights

b) exit lights and egress lights

c)fire alarm control panel

d)communication systems

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

You will not find the answer to this in the NEC.

The building codes will contain the requirements for what systems are required to be supplied by emergency power or legally required standby power.

Chris

Ragin Cajun

If there is an "emergency system", I assume on a generator, I look at all loads listed as part of life safety, or whatever you want to call it, so all can/should be on the generator. That's how I do it.

IMHO.

RC

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
What is the difference between emergency lights and egress lights?

Emergency lights could be in reference to something where light is needed such as in a control room, in the instance that the power goes out, not necessarily needed for egress, but I would agree with Bob that they are more of an essential service light, not "emergecy".

If this is a quiz question, and you have to pick the best answer closest too the real answer, and since he did call them emergency lights, then I pick "d" for my answer, but I retain the right to change my answer anytime and for no specific reason, or justification.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If we are talking about a hospital all the items listed are required to be on the "emergency system", be it the Life Safety Branch or the Critical Branch.

See 517.31, 32, and 33

Roger

raider1

Staff member
If there is an "emergency system", I assume on a generator, I look at all loads listed as part of life safety, or whatever you want to call it, so all can/should be on the generator. That's how I do it.

IMHO.

RC

Remember that there are 2 specific types of systems emergency systems (Article 700) and legally required standby systems (Article 701).

Systems required to be supplied by legally required standby power can't be supplied by emergency systems.

For example smoke control systems are required to be supplied by a legally required standby power system and could not be supplied by a emergency system.

If I had to answer I would say (C) fire alarm control panel.

Chris

This question appeared on a masters test. I felt it was limited in the question but I was unable to find a clear answer in the NEC, May have been an emergency standby system?

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
This question appeared on a masters test. I felt it was limited in the question but I was unable to find a clear answer in the NEC

Again the answer will not be found in the NEC. The requirements for systems to be supplied by emergency systems is located in the building codes.

This does not seem to be a fair question for a master electrician's test IMHO.

Chris

skeshesh

Emergency lighting is lighting fixtures that have either a battery pack or connected to an emergency circuit for illumination during normal power failure. Egress lighting/exit lighting are required per UBC under "means of egress illumination".

I have to agree with Chris on (c). It's pretty obvious (a) & (b) cannot be the choice. I'm eliminating (d) based on what I think NFPA 72 is going to go towards by incorporating mass notification. The name of the document is changing to "national fire alarm and signaling code". The term "mass notification" is being changed to "emergency communications" and is now in the body of the code under chapter 24 as opposed to being an appendix. From what I gather the signal priority will now be as follows:
1-special supression discharge signals
2-emergency communications (mass notification)
3-life safety (fire alarm)
4-property protection

By the way, I agree that this is not exactly an NEC question and not very fair on a master's exam.

etown

Per the 2006 IBC, Chapters 27 & 4, I find nothing requiring emergency lighting to be on an emergency system. It does specifically list b, c & d. Answer d) is required in High-rise buildings for emergency voice/communications systems.

I say the answer is a).

PS - I agree with kinpb on interpretation of emergency lighting versus egress lighting. I look at it like this - egress lighting is emergency lighting for a path of egress.

raider1

Staff member
Per the 2006 IBC, Chapters 27 & 4, I find nothing requiring emergency lighting to be on an emergency system. It does specifically list b, c & d. Answer d) is required in High-rise buildings for emergency voice/communications systems.

I say the answer is a).

PS - I agree with kinpb on interpretation of emergency lighting versus egress lighting. I look at it like this - egress lighting is emergency lighting for a path of egress.

Where in IBC Chapter 27 do you see that a fire alarm control panel must be supplied by an emergency system?

I agree that b & d are specifically required in Chapter 27, and I was guessing the "emergency lights" in question "a" were required egress lighting.

Chris

etown

In 2702.2.15 High Rise Buildings, it refers to Section 403.10 & 403.11 for High-rise buildings. See 403.11.1, item number 5.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer

I say the answer is a).

Section 1006.3 & 1006.4 of the IBC requires that emergency lighting be connected to emergency system.

By the IBC, I'd say c) fire alarm control panel. The IBC (907.4) says power for the fire alarm shall be in accordance with NFPA 72, which says the fire alarm system shall be provided with two independent and reliable power supplies. (I'm looking at the 2003 IBC and 1999 NFPA 72.)

construct

What is the difference between emergency lights and egress lights?

I believe emergency lights are often considered egress lights based on the wording in the buildg code.
IBC 2006

1006.1 Illumination required. "The means of egress, including the exit discharge, shall be illuminated at all times the building space served by the means of egress is occupied."
Exceptions:
1. Occupancies in Group U. (Utility)
2. Aisle accessways in Group A. (Assembly)
3. Dwelling units and sleeping units in Groups R-1, R-2, and R-3(Motels, Apartments, and Single-family)
4. Sleeping units of Group I occupancies. (Institutional)

1006.3 Illumination emergency power. "The power supply for means of egress illumination shall normally be provided by the premises' electrical supply."

"In the event of power failure, an emergency electrical system shall automatically illuminate the following areas: ............."

Since the means of egress must be lit at all times when the building is occupied, if power fails to the normal lighting, the emergency lights become the egress lighting. IMO:cool:

BrianMuir

If it was my test I would pick D.
The other 3 items typically feature intrinsic battery backup systems. The most important communication system, the phone, is powered externally, so no emergency power required.

etown

Section 1006.3 & 1006.4 of the IBC requires that emergency lighting be connected to emergency system.

By the IBC, I'd say c) fire alarm control panel. The IBC (907.4) says power for the fire alarm shall be in accordance with NFPA 72, which says the fire alarm system shall be provided with two independent and reliable power supplies. (I'm looking at the 2003 IBC and 1999 NFPA 72.)
David, the sections you site (1006.3 & 1006.4) apply to emergency lights illuminating a means of egress. My interpretation is that when an emergency light illuminates a means of egress, its considered an egress light. However, I can't find anything to support my interpretation! Ha! Guys, correct me if I'm wrong....I searched the forum and didn't find any conclusive answer to this issue. Where's Mike Holt?!

2006 IBC 403.11.1 requires fire alarm panels and emergency voice/communication systems to be on an emergency system when its a high rise building.

2006 IBC chapter 27 requires exit lights & egress lights.

Since the IBC specifically mentions exit lights, egress lights, fire alarm systems and voice/communication systems"....I'm sticking with 'a'.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
David, the sections you site (1006.3 & 1006.4) apply to emergency lights illuminating a means of egress. My interpretation is that when an emergency light illuminates a means of egress, its considered an egress light. However, I can't find anything to support my interpretation! Ha! Guys, correct me if I'm wrong....I searched the forum and didn't find any conclusive answer to this issue. Where's Mike Holt?!

2006 IBC 403.11.1 requires fire alarm panels and emergency voice/communication systems to be on an emergency system when its a high rise building.

2006 IBC chapter 27 requires exit lights & egress lights.

Since the IBC specifically mentions exit lights, egress lights, fire alarm systems and voice/communication systems"....I'm sticking with 'a'.

IBC specifically mentions "Emergency Lighting" in 1006. If the IBC requires fire alarm panels to be connected to the emergency system for high-rise only, then they are NOT REQUIRED in other locations.

Would c) fire alarm panels be the answer if the building they were installed in was a one-story office building? I think not.

In addition, NFPA 72 allows the fire alarm panel to be connected to the "legally required standby system" instead of the "emergency system."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.