(2) four pole MCB panels side by side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

Just looking at some pictures for a new project im going out to tomorrow. I can't figure out the benefit of how this is installed. There is a meter outside with what looks like one 2" conduit incoming in a meter. Then on the otherside of the meter (in the garage) there are 2 panels with (2) 4 pole MCBs in each. On the panel schedule it says "subpanel" So im assuming the one panel on the left is feeding the one on the right. Why are there (2) 4 pole MCBs? Something isn't adding up here to me, any opinions?

mxslick

I wouldn't get hung up on the "subpanel" marking. What I see is two panels, both lugged off of the meter can. The staggered heights seem to indicate different access points from the back of the meter can. And if not, it was probably done because that was the panels they had on hand. Look at the top-left 2p breaker in the panel on the left which could be feeding the one on the right.

The only way to find out is to take the deadfronts off and see what's there. I may be right or you may find an illegal "double-lugging" off of one of the panels.

The presence of the "4-pole" mains means nothing special. Other than it is a Murray/Siemens.

iwire

Staff member
Why are there (2) 4 pole MCBs? Something isn't adding up here to me, any opinions?

Those are factory breakers.

They basically put four 100 amp single pole breakers together and paralleled two together into a 200 amp. So even though it looks like a four pole as used it is a two pole 200 amp breaker.

My own panel at home has the same breaker.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So im assuming the one panel on the left is feeding the one on the right. Why are there (2) 4 pole MCBs? Something isn't adding up here to me, any opinions?

As been stated those are 200 amp breakers in those panels. What you have is a 400 amp service-- my guess. You could have a 200 amp panel that is being fed from the other panel but I doubt it. My bet is 400 amp service esp. since the meter looks like a 400 amp base.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree with Dennis. That is a very "standard" arrangement in these parts (other than the panels are normally identical in size and mounting height)

iwire

Staff member
To me the riser looks far to small to be a 400 amp service, and the meter looks like a typical 200 amp underground unit.

Npstewart

uh oh, I better check if its a 200 or 400A service. If it was a 400A, wouldn't they need either (2) 2" conduits or (1) 4" though? It appears its just (1) 2" pipe incoming

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
To me the riser looks far to small to be a 400 amp service, and the meter looks like a typical 200 amp underground unit.
I think it is a 320a base. Look again at how small the meter itself is relative to the size of the base.

Our U/G 200a bases are way smaller than that one.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The whole arrangement is bizarre. Why are the panel not set at the same height?

Open up the panels. Check to see if there are 2 se cables being fed from the meter. It is possible it's a 200 amp service with a dp 100 or something feeding the other panel. That would be a weird arrangement also.

The meter looks like a 320 or as we call them, 400 amp bases that we use around here.

The service lateral does look small but the poco sometimes does strange things also.

The fact is, we don't know without opening up the panels.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why are the panel not set at the same height?

The service lateral does look small but the poco sometimes does strange things also.
These two points suggest an upgrade and added panel using the original lateral, but the panels are identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.