Arc Flash Accident information

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I am making a presentation on electrcial safety next week (May is National Electrical Safety Month) to our department.
I need information on the following
Shock and electrocutions - number yearly or per day
Arc Flash - number yearly or per day

I google and just get too much information
Also what is a link to the Arc Flash forum - Zog hangs out here...

Thanks

zog

I am making a presentation on electrcial safety next week (May is National Electrical Safety Month) to our department.
I need information on the following
Shock and electrocutions - number yearly or per day
Arc Flash - number yearly or per day

I google and just get too much information
Also what is a link to the Arc Flash forum - Zog hangs out here...

Thanks

Need them for the last slide? :)

These are 2004 statistics, about the most recent you will find, BLS publishes them but it takes forever.

OSHA Published top 10 most violated standards. Electrical violations is fourth

Electrocution is fourth in work related fatalities with a majority of these incidents occurring at 600 volts or less

Annual workplace statistics(US)
4,000 non-disabling injuries from electrical contact
3,600 disabling injuries from electrical contact
2,000 arc flash victims sent to burn centers
400 electrocutions

zog

I just emailed those numbers to my crews reminding them to work safe.

Key here is those are workplace numbers, they do not include the stupid stuff people do in thier homes.

10 years ago it was 1200 electrocutions, so all those OSHA rules are proving effective. Now to get to work on the 2,000 arc flash victims.

iwire

Staff member
Key here is those are workplace numbers, they do not include the stupid stuff people do in thier homes.

Understood. :)

Here is what I sent out.

Guys, not to be preachy but I just happened across this info and figured I would pass it on. Keep it in mind while doing your job.

Annual workplace statistics(US) 2004

? 4,000 non-disabling injuries from electrical contact
? 3,600 disabling injuries from electrical contact
? 2,000 arc flash victims sent to burn centers
? 400 electrocutions

400 deaths in the workplace due to electrocutions, there are only 260 workdays in a year so that is almost two deaths a day.

Please be careful.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Had a tech yesterday glad that we are pushing Arc flash protection, He opened a hinged door on a manufactured panel assembly, and pinched two phases of a 480 volt 20 amp circuit. The short circuit blew out a 30 amp contactor, tripped a 600 amp breaker. Came out unscathed because he was wearing his PPE. It was right at face level, could have been real bad. He no longer complains about us forcing him to use it.

zog

Had a tech yesterday glad that we are pushing Arc flash protection, He opened a hinged door on a manufactured panel assembly, and pinched two phases of a 480 volt 20 amp circuit. The short circuit blew out a 30 amp contactor, tripped a 600 amp breaker. Came out unscathed because he was wearing his PPE. It was right at face level, could have been real bad. He no longer complains about us forcing him to use it.

Sometimes it takes "seeing the light" to see the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.