Water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

Do think the switch must be no higher than 6' 6" if it is to serve as disconnect.
You could put breaker lockout on this and not need the switch. The romex is subject to damage. I use to put a 90 and carflex on the romex whips. It will need straped in the wall but assume you already did that.

'

Volta

Yes. That is the purpose of the switch being there. There is no requirement as to how high. "Accessable" is an issue. The unprotected RX is not to code nor is the plastic bushing. Other than that it's good to go.

I agree with Jim, it can't be over 6'7" these days 404.8(A). Subject to damage is sibject to interpretation. I don't think it is a bushing, but rather a non-metallic connector.

It should be strapped within 12 inches of the connector 334.30.

Hopefully this is a residence, otherwise the NM cable shouldn't be seen at all 334.10(3).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have used DP 30 amp switches before but it is a bear to get the number 10's and the switch into the box. I now use a/c disconnects.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree with Jim, it can't be over 6'7" these days 404.8(A). Subject to damage is sibject to interpretation. I don't think it is a bushing, but rather a non-metallic connector.

Exception No. 2: Switches and circuit breakers installed adjacent to motors, appliances, or other equipment that they supply shall be permitted to be located higher than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) and to be accessible by portable means

What if this water heater were located 12 feet above the floor (or even more) and disconnnect switch was right next to the unit? Works for me. I like to have switch right next to equipment that is elevated. If you are there trying to service it, it saves several trips up and down a ladder sometimes just to be able to turn on and off for troubleshooting purposes.

Jim W in Tampa

"Exception No. 2: Switches and circuit breakers installed adjacent to motors, appliances, or other equipment that they supply shall be permitted to be located higher than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) and to be accessible by portable means "
The switch shown here is not adjacent in my opinion.

kwired

Electron manager
"Exception No. 2: Switches and circuit breakers installed adjacent to motors, appliances, or other equipment that they supply shall be permitted to be located higher than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) and to be accessible by portable means "
The switch shown here is not adjacent in my opinion.

Why is it not adjacent?

From the picture we really do not know how high it is either. If this were a 20 gallon water heater that switch may only be 4 feet above the floor.

At the right side of the photo appears to be a door jamb. Assuming 84 inch tall door as is common it looks like this should be 6' 7" high or less.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If we use 404.8(A) then we must look at the exception.

Exception No. 2: Switches and circuit breakers installed adjacent to motors, appliances, or other equipment that they supply shall be permitted to be located higher than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) and to be accessible by portable means.

Jim W in Tampa

Why is it not adjacent?

From the picture we really do not know how high it is either. If this were a 20 gallon water heater that switch may only be 4 feet above the floor.

At the right side of the photo appears to be a door jamb. Assuming 84 inch tall door as is common it looks like this should be 6' 7" high or less.

Adjacent means beside not above.
As to OP this looks like typical 40 gal that is about 48 inches. Add the pipes and then look at wall. This might fall within 6' 7" or it might not.
Now since this is the disconnect lets talk about 110.26

neutral

Adjacent means beside not above.
As to OP this looks like typical 40 gal that is about 48 inches. Add the pipes and then look at wall. This might fall within 6' 7" or it might not.
Now since this is the disconnect lets talk about 110.26

ad?ja?cent (-jsnt)
adj.
1. Close to; lying near: adjacent cities.
2. Next to; adjoining: adjacent garden plots.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
above would qualify as adjacent.

iwire

Staff member
I did and I didn't see anything that would prevent the placement of the switch above the heater in the 2008 book, but you can point out what i might have missed.
charlie

110.26(A), there is no working space for this disconnecting means.

I am not convinced 110.26 applies to this switch but if it does we have a violation.

neutral

110.26(A), there is no working space for this disconnecting means.

I am not convinced 110.26 applies to this switch but if it does we have a violation.

I agree.

from 110.26
other equipment that is associated
with the electrical installation and is located above or below
the electrical equipment shall be permitted to extend
not more than 150 mm (6 in.) beyond the front of the
electrical equipment.

would this not apply? If the switch didn't extend past the front of the heater 6"? I believe the toggle is only 1/2 to 3/4 "

Status
Not open for further replies.