Water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volta

...would this not apply? If the switch didn't extend past the front of the heater 6"? I believe the toggle is only 1/2 to 3/4 "

I'm with Iwire on this one.

Is this switch likely to require examination while energized :roll:?

I'll suggest that the water heater is violating the required working space of the alarm panel, I doubt that there is written permission for that 110.26(A)(1)(b) :cool:.

Jim W in Tampa

The alarm equipment is violating 110.26 of the disconnect. Now an easy fix is a breaker lock and then the switch is a controler not disconnect.
If i was inspecting this job all i would really push is to protect the romex.

Cavie

The switch is a violation. It would be nessessary to test while energised to check voltage to see if it is working. 2 pole sw's often burn out one side of the contacks. same as an A/C disconect.

iwire

Staff member
The switch is a violation. It would be nessessary to test while energised to check voltage to see if it is working. 2 pole sw's often burn out one side of the contacks. same as an A/C disconect.

Interesting so in that case a light switch above a kitchen counter is also a violation.

My own feeling is that few electrical items require being worked on live. Choosing to work something live is much different from being required to work it live.

Volta

The alarm equipment is violating 110.26 of the disconnect. Now an easy fix is a breaker lock and then the switch is a controler not disconnect.
If i was inspecting this job all i would really push is to protect the romex.

I think the alarm panel was there first. It looks like a gas water heater was replaced, and the EC recently fished this in.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This was brought up at our NC annual meeting with about 8 CMP members and they agreed that 110.26 was applicable for a/c units. I suspect the same is true for water heaters. I have never seen anyone tagged for this. The headroom obviously doesn't count since 110.26(E) does not apply to a disconnect.

iwire

Staff member
This was brought up at our NC annual meeting with about 8 CMP members and they agreed that 110.26 was applicable for a/c units.

So when I have AC units above suspended ceilings in office spaces they have to leave that part of the ceiling open and keep a 30" x 36" clear space on the floor? :grin:

Not busting on you Dennis but 110.26 is a train wreck, it applies, it does not apply it applies on Tuesdays of even numbed days etc.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So when I have AC units above suspended ceilings in office spaces they have to leave that part of the ceiling open and keep a 30" x 36" clear space on the floor? :grin:

Not busting on you Dennis but 110.26 is a train wreck, it applies, it does not apply it applies on Tuesdays of even numbed days etc.

I agree, ask Roger-- that was exactly what I said when I confronted their response. They appeared a bit dumbfounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.