concrete encased electrode

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

A concrete encased electrode is designed to make a connect to the earth for the premise electrical system. The connection to the earth is to stabilize the voltage to earth during normal operations and to help limit the voltage imposed by lightning, line surges, or unintentional contact with higher-voltage lines. The concrete encased electrode is not intended to carry any kind of fault current.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
a #4 rebar for concrete encased electrode is good for up to how many amps
Look at 250.52(A)(3). This means that the CEE never has to be larger than #4 copper no matter what size service you have. You can use a larger conductor but it is not required.

Concrete-Encased Electrode. An electrode encased by at least 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete, located horizontally near the bottom or vertically, and within that portion of a concrete foundation or footing that is in direct contact with the earth, consisting of at least 6.0 m (20 ft) of one or more bare or zinc galvanized or other electrically conductive coated steel reinforcing bars or rods of not less than 13 mm (? in.) in diameter, or consisting of at least 6.0 m (20 ft) of bare copper conductor not smaller than 4 AWG. Reinforcing bars shall be permitted to be bonded together by the usual steel tie wires or other effective means. Where multiple concrete-encased electrodes are present at a building or structure, it shall be permissible to bond only one into the grounding electrode system.

DAL

Ufer Ground

Ufer Ground

When installing a bare Cu. wire for use as a Ufer Ground, can the Cu. wire touch or be tied to the rebar in the footing?

iwire

Staff member
Dennis I am not sure if we are required to connect to the steel if we have 20' of 4 AWG in the cement but that said I have seen it argued both ways with no clear cut answer.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Dennis I am not sure if we are required to connect to the steel if we have 20' of 4 AWG in the cement but that said I have seen it argued both ways with no clear cut answer.

I read it as an either/or. No attachment required if you have the 20' of bare copper.

iwire

Staff member
Is twenty feet of 4 AWG in a concrete footing an electrode?

Is twenty feet of 1/2" re-bar in a concrete footing an electrode?

Now what does 250.50 say?

All grounding electrodes as described in 250.52(A)(1) through (A)(7) that are present at each building or structure served shall be bonded together to form the grounding electrode system.

Just pointing it out ........... :grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

I agree-- My intent was to state that touching it doesn't matter if we are required to tie to the rebar-- if we choose. :) I am glad to caught that as others may have thought the rebar was required.

The only time I wouldn't connect to the rebar is if the rebar wasn't in the footer. Even if it was smaller than 1/2" (I have not seen that) I would run 20' and connect to the rebar. But that's me--

raider1

Staff member
Is twenty feet of 4 AWG in a concrete footing an electrode?

Is twenty feet of 1/2" re-bar in a concrete footing an electrode?

Now what does 250.50 say?

Just pointing it out ........... :grin:

250.52(A)(3) allows us to only connect to one CEE when more than 1 are present.;):)

Chris

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
???????-- it is required by code to tie to the rebar. :-? I assume that is not an issue since we attach copper to galvinized rods all the time.

It's my knee-jerk chemical engineer reaction. Without commenting on the code, tieing the copper directly to the steel or zinc in a damp environment creates a battery which will result in the rapid destruction of the zinc or steel. The interior of all concrete structures in contact with the ground will contain some moisture, so you'll always get corrosion in such cases.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
One could also argue that the rebar trumps the 20' of #4 simply because the rebar (an electrode) is present and therefore it must be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.