Show Window recepts 210.62 /210.14(g)

Status
Not open for further replies.
checking the interpretation with a couple of questions:
If a show window is less than 6 ft. in width is a receptacle required?
If the window is wider than 12 ft. (2) receptacles are required and so on?

Do I have to use the 200va per linear foot to calculate load or can I use 180va per outlet methos which would not require a dedicated circuit?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
My answer would be that you only need one if you have 12' of window, but I consider 12' 1" to be a fraction thereof and you would need two.

200 VA

cowboyjwc

Staff member
210.62 tells you for every 12', if window is only 5' none are required. I would probably put one in for the open sign.

220.43 tells you that a load of not less than 200 VA/linear foot shall be included for a show window.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It says one receptacle for every 12 feet or major fraction thereof. One inch is hardly a major fraction. A window 12'-1" wide could be served by a single receptacle. But 5 feet is a major fraction of 12 feet, so I would say it needs one receptacle.

You count the load in terms of watts per foot, not in terms of the number of outlets you actually install.

Volta

I disagree. A major fraction is one half, or more.

6'

Any set of windows from a width of 6'0" to 17'11" could be served by one receptacle, IMO.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I'm the inspector and 90.4 says a major fraction is 1";)

But the hand book does say that 6' is a major fraction. (I knew that Charlie was wrong.)

Last edited:

Volta

FPN, sure, but the text following the definition of AHJ does explain that it is used in a "broad manner", and includes in the list both a building official and an electrical inspector.

And the actual definition does say ..."or individual responsible for enforcing the requirements...

Just sayin' ;).

Volta

So I would accept that the electrical inspector in the field is the AHJ while he or she is "responsible for enforcing the requirements", and as soon as a call is challanged, officially, then that party is no longer responsible for the enforcement, at least until a determination is made, now the title of AHJ is passed up to the next level.

iwire

Staff member
Where I am anything official I can find calls the people in the field "Inspector of wires" I cannot find who is the actual AHJ but it seems to be at the state level.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Since I am the only electrical inspector in our jurisdiction and I am the only one in our department with a background in electrical, they count on me to be the AHJ when it comes to the electrical code. They let the PM inspector go just a few months ago and he had 22 years with the division, they decided that it would not be in their best interest to let me go since no one else was even remotly qualified to do my job.:roll:

iwire

Staff member
Isn't the AHJ usually the employer of the inspector?

Sure in some areas, not in all.

For example in MA the Inspector of wires is a employee of the specific city or town but the if I need an official code interpretation I have to go to a state agency. (MA amended 90.6 to reflect this)

If I want an official interpretation I have to request it from the "Board of Fire Prevention Regulation."

If I want to appeal an inspector of wires decision I have to do that with the "Board of Electrician Appeals"

Status
Not open for further replies.