Is drainage pipe allowed right over a panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here's another graphic from Mike Holt

ry%3D400

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
So 6 feet is the magic number... it seems 3 feet and six feet are always the magic number, pretty interesting.
Keep in mind that there is a difference between "dedicated space" and "working clearance." You are talking about the former item. The space directly above and below the panel (i.e., the footprint) is dedicated to the installation of conduits. That is why they don't want "foreign" systems in that area. In this context, "foreign" means "not electrical, and not related to the electrical installation."

The 6 feet magic number begins at the top of the panel. You want to be able to add conduits later, so the first six feet above the panel can't have anything "foreign" in the way. Higher than that, they figure you will have bent the conduits off in some other direction, so it's OK to put pipes and ducts up that high. Just put a drip shield below the pipes or ducts.

lunalilo

Keep in mind that there is a difference between "dedicated space" and "working clearance." You are talking about the former item. The space directly above and below the panel (i.e., the footprint) is dedicated to the installation of conduits. That is why they don't want "foreign" systems in that area. In this context, "foreign" means "not electrical, and not related to the electrical installation."

The 6 feet magic number begins at the top of the panel. You want to be able to add conduits later, so the first six feet above the panel can't have anything "foreign" in the way. Higher than that, they figure you will have bent the conduits off in some other direction, so it's OK to put pipes and ducts up that high. Just put a drip shield below the pipes or ducts.

So this does indeed, including the graphic, answer my question right?

You cannot have ducting or piping or supply lines directly overhead of a panel, up to 6 feet. If this is true, most housing having 2 stories and a panel being on the first story, being that it would be around 8 feet high (ceiling) there should be nothing but electrical piping for the full width and length of the equipment upwards of whatever above it (being less the 6 feet) correct?

lunalilo

Structural Ceiling being, drywall level right?

So if something were "in" the ceiling like plumbing above the panel, that would be okay or no?

kwired

Electron manager
I roughed in a house that I put (2) service panels in a studded wall. One of the bays had a 2" PVC plumbing drain above the panel in the same bay. The inspector stared at that pipe for over 10 minutes during inspection. He went back and forth to his truck twice looking at his book and calling someone.

What do you think happened?

Personally I think that it would be ok, but I'd like to find out the ending to McClary's story from post #9.

I have seen inspectors let that pass before if the foreign system was below the panel and in a location such as a basement or a building on a slab where it was not likely to run raceways or cables down through the floor, but it would not be allowed above, and on any of my jobs it would not be there at inspection unless the plumber sneaked it in without my knowledge.

If they encroach my dedicated space at a panel I will tell them that I will work with them on occupying the same space just about anywhere but at the panel, there I have rules to follow and that is my space.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Outside and above so it still gets to spray water on the panel.:D
Yes, water on the panel is no where near as serious of an issue as a faulting panel that burns the building down. Sprinkler systems rarely leak and if the area is hot enough to melt the element, the panel is probably already junk.

Volta

I have seen inspectors let that pass before if the foreign system was below the panel and in a location such as a basement or a building on a slab where it was not likely to run raceways or cables down through the floor, but it would not be allowed above, and on any of my jobs it would not be there at inspection unless the plumber sneaked it in without my knowledge.

If they encroach my dedicated space at a panel I will tell them that I will work with them on occupying the same space just about anywhere but at the panel, there I have rules to follow and that is my space.

I'm trying to figure out where people think the 'structural ceiling' is.

I would think that it is the bottom of the joists, but if they are exposed, maybe it is the lowest horizontal membrane secured to the supporting joists, which would be the top sometimes.

mcclary's electrical

That's what happened. The pipe "showed" up after my rough in was complete. The inspector was really nice, and I personally know he could have made the plumber rework it if he really wanted to. There were 10 ft ceilings in this place, we discussed it, and he decide to let it slide. He viewed it as exactly as Volta described, but the elbow was under the top plate of the wall. It was definately a violation, but he make anybody change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.