installation of fluorescent light fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinod

Dear members,

Can anybody tell me the standard for installation of fluorescent light fixture? Is it requires safety cover when it is installing at height to prevent falling the tubes?
:mad:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dear members,

Can anybody tell me the standard for installation of fluorescent light fixture? Is it requires safety cover when it is installing at height to prevent falling the tubes?

Covers over fluorescent tubes are generally required when used over cooking areas or areas of food preparation.

vinod

Are highbay lighting fixtures required per code to have covers to prevent tubes from falling as a safety issue to workers below. Highbay fixture is 25 mtrs in height in warehouse with forklift activities. please provide specific code if any.

Many Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are highbay lighting fixtures required per code to have covers to prevent tubes from falling as a safety issue to workers below. Highbay fixture is 25 mtrs in height in warehouse with forklift activities. please provide specific code if any.

Many Thanks
I don't see anything in the code that mentions high bay fixtures. Art. 410 is for lighting. I guess we should be looking at electric discharge lighting. I wonder if this is more manufacturers specs.

iwire

Staff member
MH and MV fixtures that are subject to damage must comply with 410.10

410.10(E) Luminaires in Indoor Sports, Mixed-Use, and All-Purpose Facilities.

Luminaires subject to physical damage, using a mercury vapor or metal halide lamp, installed in playing and spectator seating areas of indoor sports, mixed use, or all-purpose facilities shall be of the type that protects the lamp with a glass or plastic lens. Such luminaires shall be permitted to have an additional guard.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If there is any requirement for fluorescent fixtures it is not widely enforced. I have seen a ton of jobs with engineered fixtures (fluorescent) without any lens

iwire

Staff member
The OP is talking about flourescent lights and I am pretty sure this is a warehouse since a forklift is mentioned.

Yeah I saw 'high bays' and automatically think MV or MH.

But the code section could also be the source of a rummor that all lamps need guarding.

steve066

I have rarely seen highbay fixture. Don't they all have glass in the lens?

No, many don't. Many are open bottom. It keeps dirt and grease and bugs from building up in the bottom of the fixture, and decreasing the light outupt. Many high bay fixtures don't get much in the way of mainenance.

Steve

kwired

Electron manager
Dear members,

In general dry locations no cover required. I do work at a food processing plant and they have third party inspectors (food quality inspectors) that have high standards. All lamps regardless of the type need to be sheilded even in their warehouses where product is in packages. This has nothing to do with electrical codes but their product safety standards. There are companies that sell shatter resistant lamps that are coated with some type of clear plastic and these are generally acceptable for open lamp style fixtures. They cost a lot more than standard lamps however.

Status
Not open for further replies.