seperate grounding conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volta

What cable are you referring to? Most, if not all, have a grounding conductor of some type within or as the sheath. Or for SE, an unisulated conductor at least.

Edit: Oh, you did say type AC. Is this for an isolated ground? Patient care? Pre-1959 BX?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Look at article 300.3(B)

300.3 Conductors.
(B) Conductors of the Same Circuit. All conductors of the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor and all equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors shall be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter, cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench, cable, or cord, unless otherwise permitted in accordance with 300.3(B)(1) through (B)(4).
(2) Grounding and Bonding Conductors. Equipment grounding conductors shall be permitted to be installed outside a raceway or cable assembly where in accordance with the provisions of 250.130(C) for certain existing installations or in accordance with 250.134(B), Exception No. 2, for dc circuits. Equipment bonding conductors shall be permitted to be installed on the outside of raceways in accordance with 250.102(E).

Volta

DARUSA,

I realize that AC could also mean Armored Cable, but unless this is 517 app, as Volta suggested, the OP has a grounding conductor system that is sufficient.

I merely wish to establish what the term "AC" is in the OP's context.

Yeah, that threw me too, I started out assuming that it was A/C, but now I'm guessing that it is AC ;).

Volta

Might not be legal, I don't know. Thje section Dennis posted earlier allows such outside of a raceway or cable. However, you are referring to a cord. Not a cable at all. You would first need to justify the use of the cord. Then we'd have to find an allowance for this proposed method in Article 400 or 250.

So are you using four circuit conductors of a wye system plus a grounding conductor?

eprice

AC means alternating current and the cable is a 4 conductor type SOW cord being used for 3 phase system.

Since I don't know how you're using this cord, I may be off base, but I suspect you will have a violation of 400.8, Items (1) and/or (4) in particular.

If you can get past 400.8, then I think 300.3(B) will prevent the separate grounding conductor. I don't think you can apply 300.3(B)(2) since this doesn't sound like an existing installation, and even if it is, 300.3(B)(2) is only applicable to raceways and cable assemblies. I don't think a cord qualifies as one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.