PVC as Stub up Within Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmhead

Weed wacker line

Weed wacker line

Well i hope this is better see the fine hair orange weed wacker lines alone the wall 2 inches off stud face top of picture .
100_1750-1.jpg
this week ill try and get you a good shot sorry for the picture its hard to see the lines.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
A good example is my church. PVC was stubbed up in a number of places for uses planned at first, also some for anticipated future uses. Nothing damaged during construction. But as desks, portable stands, etc. get moved and placed over or next to stubup, a hit or 2 will snap it right at floor level, sometimes a little below. Only way I can fix is slide 1/2 EMT down inside, take to 1st box and ground it there. I like PVC for many things. It's great for stubups to transformers, switchgears, etc. But not good where subject to traffic and abuse.

Volta

Depending on the occupancy limit and whether or not it is required to be fire-rated construction, PVC conduits shouldn't be exposed in places of worship 518.4.

ohmhead

Pvc conduit

Pvc conduit

Well everyone says pvc conduit is a fire hazard but reading up a little on it .

Just the fumes given off are important to note they say there non lethal that the fumes can be choking & irradiating but will not kill you .

PVC will burn only if other materials are burning around it to set it off but it will not stay burning the fumes from it are the problem but then again the building is on fire so why is it so important to not stub it up in a place of assembly ?

I know the code says it but if the building is on fire the smoke from all things burning in fire will be a problem how about the computers on fire in all the office spaces there plastic how many things are made from pvc just about everything we have today .

Insulation on wire ,

I think its over kill !

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Looks like a good repair kit. I'll have to check into it. It still doesn't eliminate stubups getting broken in daily use of the building.

Schedule 80? Versus 40

Schedule 80? Versus 40

Thanks for the varied responses. I recall schedule 80 as being listed for exterior risers in regards to "adequate protection" - Anyone using schedule 80 within buildings and seeing a marked difference between it and schedule 40?

One-eyed Jack

Thanks for the varied responses. I recall schedule 80 as being listed for exterior risers in regards to "adequate protection" - Anyone using schedule 80 within buildings and seeing a marked difference between it and schedule 40?

It is a little tougher. Don't put any money saved in CD's cause you will have to pay the early withdrawal penalty. It ain't that tough. GRC gets broken from time to time. It does leave a mark on the offender though.:D

realolman

Well i hope this is better see the fine hair orange weed wacker lines alone the wall 2 inches off stud face top of picture .
100_1750-1.jpg
this week ill try and get you a good shot sorry for the picture its hard to see the lines.

I actually rather like this idea, but because of the radii of the sweeps, don't you have to dig your conduits down in the dirt a good bit , where by other methods they could just lay below the slab?

You bet, but who would use EMT or 40PVC in a slab? if you use anything but rigid, they will level with the floor.

My goodness, I used emt in concrete floors in 50 story buildings in Chicago. With proper management of your job and coordination with the other trades it was never an issue. Sure is easier to repair EMT versus IMC or rigid. and at ground level always used PVC with rigid stub ups---metal conduit rusts out! It's dangerous in my opinion in the ground

PVC in a building

PVC in a building

Bob, It is perfectly fine to have PVC in a building, as a mater of fact you can do the whole job in pvc. In the code book always look at the do and don'ts of what your working with. Most engineers will spec out what you can do with the PVC sch 40. I agree with the crowd, it like bowling for the rest of the trades, if its sticking up it will get broken off a lot of the time. I like to put my change overs at the pour level and always watch the concrete pours. Good luck PV

Status
Not open for further replies.