A feast for the eyes (pic's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

This will hurt.... I got involved in a inside wiring job of a stand alone solar powered building (Some of which has to do with this thread.) - this is what was outside...

On one day I found the building one a feed from the panel at 240 with a floating neutral from a transformer that was parraleling two solar systems one at 120v, and the other at 240. (It had a breaker as a disconnect though) The next day it was only feeding 120 on a 3-wire (hots tied) on undersized wire - just barey big enough for 120/240. On top of that - tapped of the paraleling conductors so that there was no disconnect. By looking at it - it's hard to tell what is what...

This job has been a fast-track fiasco with a number of cooks in the kitchen (another story), but the solar guy (Apart from borrowing my tools and even materials to do this) has a few extra clues about the code book that I am unware of....

iwire

Staff member
No doubt, that looks like a solar guys work.

The company I work for hired a guy that had done quite a few installations and I swear he had only heard a rumor of a book called the NEC. He was a nice guy, smart, knew the equipment, but the NEC was not a consideration at all.

shepelec

I'll have to remember that compression couplings work like connectors next time I run short.:)

My daughter would love those lime green ty wraps too.

e57

My favorite is the paraleled #12's on the lugs. These - as the panel is used as a raceway - which is fine - go in from a battery inverter and in/out of disconnect below, and then out to a transformer and back then back in/out across the breakers to another solar inverter.

FWIW - I put the bond screw there myself - because I could no longer stand it being without one being straddled by 2 ungrounded SDS's. And the GEC is something I really had to push him for since, a rod was shown on the plans, it only got one... and only 3/4 way down.

elohr46

You just got to love the EMT "combination connector/couplings."

Reminds me of the time when I saw an HVAC guy remove one side of a compression coupling and then tried to thread a locknut on the fine threads, he got it part way on and then stripped it. I laugh every time when I think of it.

ItsHot

No doubt, that looks like a solar guys work.

The company I work for hired a guy that had done quite a few installations and I swear he had only heard a rumor of a book called the NEC. He was a nice guy, smart, knew the equipment, but the NEC was not a consideration at all.
Hey Bob, that's just like a lot of electricians! :confused::grin::grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.