Replacing fuse panel in closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

RESI

I live in Va and have a question about replacing a fuse panel. Currently the panel is located in a closet. Can I install a new main breaker panel and keep it in the closet? Thanks to all who respond and may God Bless you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Npstewart

You need 30" left to right clearance and 36" in front of the panel. The 30" does not have to be centered with the panel.

Why are you replacing the panel? Do you need more spaces?

Last edited:

mcclary's electrical

I'm doing a service in 2 days in the same situation. I've already informed the homeowner to have shelves and closet rod/holder out before I arrive. Meet working space requirements and you're good to go.

jumper

I live in Va and have a question about replacing a fuse panel. Currently the panel is located in a closet. Can I install a new main breaker panel and keep it in the closet? Thanks to all who respond and may God Bless you.

240.24(D) will probably kill the idea of a panel swap in the current location, while the closet may not fit the description now, in my experience most inspectors will not allow this because of future use. I am not saying this is right or wrong, but it is what it is.

Can you flip the panel and install it in a location that would be more agreeable if necessary?

May the Good Lord be with you and yours also.

mcclary's electrical

240.24(D) will probably kill the idea of a panel swap in the current location, while the closet may not fit the description now, in my experience most inspectors will not allow this because of future use. I am not saying this is right or wrong, but it is what it is.

Can you flip the panel and install it in a location that would be more agreeable if necessary?

May the Good Lord be with you and yours also.

If that were the case,,,he could say that about any single electrical room.

If there's no clothes rod,,or rod hanger

there's no clothes closet

iwire

Staff member
I am willing to bet the 110.26 issues will be a deal killer anyway.

What are the chances of a closet in a house with fuse boxes being large enough for the working space.

mcclary's electrical

I am willing to bet the 110.26 issues will be a deal killer anyway.

What are the chances of a closet in a house with fuse boxes being large enough for the working space.

Bob,,,in my instance coming up on Tuesdsay, I have all the working space I need. The original panel is built under the stairs. The only issue is the panel is in a clothes closet. If that is removed when I arrive, what can they say?

You may decide to put coltes in here later?? No way,,,,again, they could claim that about any electrical room

rt66electric

put it outside

put it outside

our jurisdiction requires:
'If you touch the main service entrance conductors ( the ones betwwen the meter and the panel) Then, you have to move the panel.

The best solution is, usually, to move the panel outside ane use the old panel box as a junction box.

Status
Not open for further replies.