Substation Tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an NEC, OSHA, or NFPA, rule that forbids taping the rubber cord to the fixture chain of an 8' or 4' fixture (fixture is made with a cord & plug)?

Is there an NEC, OSHA, or NFPA, rule that forbids taping the rubber cord to the fixture chain of an 8' or 4' fixture (fixture is made with a cord & plug)? I forgot to mention we were written up for taping the rubber cord up the fixture chain to the receptacle. I could not find any where in the NEC that saya this is a violation......

djohns6

I work for a large utility company . We have some safety guys that are completely clueless when it comes to off the wall stuff like that . Not to mention the fact that they always find a way to write somebody up so they can give the appearance of being good at their job . They tell you something is illegal but they can't show you the documentation to back it up . If you buck them , they make it look like you just don't care about working safe .

cadpoint

I wouldn't have a free floating slice on an extention cord, No.

Joints are in to be inside Boxes, Troughs, Gutters, of the equipment they service.(if rated)

Sorry, I'm not sitting at a Code Book!

Volta

Is there an NEC, OSHA, or NFPA, rule that forbids taping the rubber cord to the fixture chain of an 8' or 4' fixture (fixture is made with a cord & plug)?

Welcome to the forum-

The NEC does not disallow that. The closest you will get, AFAIK, is:

NEC 400.8 Uses Not Permitted said:
Unless. specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:
(4) Where attached to building structures
(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings

The jack chain or similar supporting the light fixture is not a building structure., so attaching is not prohibited.
The tape is not a building element, so the concealment (within the taped area) is ok, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.