Church Steeple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mule

Good morning to all.....Got a Church Steeple going on a brand new steel church structure. We have designed electrical dwgs for the structure, but the steeple was not addressed. The church members drove to Alabama to pick up the steeple and it comes equiped with a 50ft braided cable. Now I've read in the past that lightning rod systems are engineered systems and are not addressed in the NEC, and I presume it's not apart of the ground electrode system for the service entrance......any pointers would be appreciated as to the installation, or attachment of this conductor. Should I demand dwgs? Should the braided cable be on top of the roof, and not through the inside of the structure? would the steeple require a grid? or simply a rod(s)? My hunch, is that a direct hit, would perhaps blow a single 10ft rod in two....:) thanks MULE

PS....Hope everyone is doing well

Volta

Good morning to all.....Got a Church Steeple going on a brand new steel church structure. We have designed electrical dwgs for the structure, but the steeple was not addressed. The church members drove to Alabama to pick up the steeple and it comes equiped with a 50ft braided cable. Now I've read in the past that lightning rod systems are engineered systems and are not addressed in the NEC, and I presume it's not apart of the ground electrode system for the service entrance......any pointers would be appreciated as to the installation, or attachment of this conductor. Should I demand dwgs? Should the braided cable be on top of the roof, and not through the inside of the structure? would the steeple require a grid? or simply a rod(s)? My hunch, is that a direct hit, would perhaps blow a single 10ft rod in two....:) thanks MULE

PS....Hope everyone is doing well

I've never worked with a lightning system, but the down cables are sometimes run within the structutres, have separate electrode systems BUT need to be bonded to the electrical GES.

Liability may be something to look into, I think some companies are certified by UL or similar for these systems. Drawings would be great . . .

charlietuna

Lightning is un-predictable--even those that engineer lightning protection are somewhat guessing. But what they engineer has a UL Rating concerning insurance and liability in a courtroom. Anything you guess at doesn't !?!? I have installed similar tower leads down thru the roof and also across the roof from instructions from certified lightning protection contractors. It's a small cost -- this being a church --they should be able to get it for you !

bphgravity

While lightning protection is likely not required for the structure, once it is installed, it likely must comply with a nationally referenced standard. That is how it is in Florida anyway.

The system should be designed and comply with the NFPA 780 at a minimum. In addition, the system whould be third party certified, preferably UL.

Status
Not open for further replies.