Engineering RV parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

I just got done designing one, and I don't see a problem with it because the RVs don't use 240 or 208 power, they use a 30A receptacle @ 120V, and some use a 50A @ 120v. The pedestals themselves are powerd by the 208 or 240 power so for calculating the load on the panel, the voltage would be 208 or 240.

Make sure you pay attention to the article in the NEC called RV parks. As I recall you need 20% of the sites to be equipped with 50A receptacles, and the remainder can be 30A. You will also need (1) 20A GFCI protected outlet. See the same article for load calculations and loads on the receptacles.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
I just got done designing one, and I don't see a problem with it because the RVs don't use 240 or 208 power, they use a 30A receptacle @ 120V, and some use a 50A @ 120v.
I believe that the 50A are 240, but as I understand it, nothing in any commercial RV uses 240. It is common for one of the air conditioners (maybe more) to use 1 phase, the other AC and everything else to use the other.

The 208 would work fine as each is 120 to GEC.

Npstewart

I had the option of using a 3 phase open delta service for my RV park but I realized I wouldn't be able to use the B phase for anything! (no 3 phase loads) So I went with the residential service type 240-1, better then 208-1 as far as service size is concerned.

If your doing an RV park, make sure you take voltage drop into account, they can be very lengthy. Good Luck

kwired

Electron manager
I had the option of using a 3 phase open delta service for my RV park but I realized I wouldn't be able to use the B phase for anything! (no 3 phase loads) So I went with the residential service type 240-1, better then 208-1 as far as service size is concerned.

If your doing an RV park, make sure you take voltage drop into account, they can be very lengthy. Good Luck

If you have 208 volts it very likely from a 3 phase wye system. If you have 3 phase wye system why would you only connect single phase service to it. I understand you have single phase loads but there is more capacity across all three phases.

Npstewart

I didn't have a 208y-3 service, I had a 240-3 open delta service. I didn't want to bring a high leg service to the building if I couldn't use the high leg for anything. If I had 208Y-3 I would have used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.