Missing covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Is it possible to fabricate a cover for a wireway? I know I can go buy a new wireway and remove cover,but this one is 4x4x18 I cant find one any where, and I am really trying to help good customer not replace entire wireway just cover. Cant I just make one?

Volta

Is it possible to fabricate a cover for a wireway? I know I can go buy a new wireway and remove cover,but this one is 4x4x18 I cant find one any where, and I am really trying to help good customer not replace entire wireway just cover. Cant I just make one?

As long as it is metal, I don't see why not. Many wiring methods are required to be listed, found in xxx.6 of many articles, but not Art. 376.

You might need to mark it with your name though 376.120 ;).

You might also buy one that is 24" long and cut it.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Find a metal shop somewhere near you. I have a couple here I've worked with. I can take them a drawing or model and they can do it. Check your scrapyard next time you sell copper. You should find some heavy sheet metal there cheap and could make a cover yourself if you have time and like doing it. One of the shops I use can also make simple shoebox type covers and metal wall brackets for various applications. Make sure the edges are smoothed out; save your fingers.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Many wiring methods are required to be listed, found in xxx.6 of many articles, but not Art. 376.

Listed does appear in 376.10(3).

376.10 Uses Permitted.

(3) In hazardous (classified) locations as permitted by 501.10(B) for Class I, Division 2 locations; 502.10(B) for Class II, Division 2 locations; and 504.20 for intrinsically safe wiring. Where installed in wet locations, wireways shall be listed for the purpose.
Is that telling me wireways shall be listed in any wet location, or just hazardous wet locations?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
We have sheet metal shops fabricate covers and even whole enclosures on a regular basis.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.