Grounding service

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadee44

We have been grounding panels for years. This year our local inspectors want us to ground the meter first then ground the panel, they said that is what Entergy that was wanted us to do this so they added this their inspection code list. I have been trying to discuss this issue with them with no luck. I can't find it in the code book that the meter has to be grounded as long as panel is grounded with rigid conduit coming through wall and binding screw. Even if you have an outdoor panel, and if you come out and ground the meter, the conduit should be the bond for the panel. You should not have to also ground the panel too. Can someone please inform me if they are aware of any changes to the code on this issue?

Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What grounding are you talking about. The meter is grounded thru the grounded conductor (neutral). The GEC can terminate in either the meter or the panel. Not sure exactly what you have there.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As far as NEC is concerned you connect your GEC to the grounded conductor at any location from the service point up to and including the service disconnect {250.24(A)(1)}
Locally some POCOs want the connection IN their meter base to assure it is connected to the GE. Other POCOs want no GEC connection in their bases. Sounds like Entergy is going with the former.
They have the option of having their own requirements. You want their power, you play by their rules.
\

Status
Not open for further replies.