service entrance overhead residential

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall there being an allowable height on the side of a home (broad side) where you dont have to extend the riser past the rooftop. this is a single story home and the driveway is on the same side as the proposed poco relocation. My question is, can i install the weatherhead beneath the roof line of this home. I can go through the eve but will have to support riser twice if i do.
just a little time saver perhaps. anyone?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It depends on the height. Can you maintain the height requirements for art. 230.24(B)

230.24(B) Vertical Clearance for Service-Drop Conductors. Service-drop conductors, where not in excess of 600 volts, nominal, shall have the following minimum clearance from final grade:
(1) 3.0 m (10 ft) — at the electrical service entrance to buildings, also at the lowest point of the drip loop of the building electrical entrance, and above areas or sidewalks accessible only to pedestrians, measured from final grade or other accessible surface only for service-drop cables supported on and cabled together with a grounded bare messenger where the voltage does not exceed 150 volts to ground
(2) 3.7 m (12 ft) — over residential property and driveways, and those commercial areas not subject to truck traffic where the voltage does not exceed 300 volts to ground
(3) 4.5 m (15 ft) — for those areas listed in the 3.7-m (12-ft) classification where the voltage exceeds 300 volts to ground
(4) 5.5 m (18 ft) — over public streets, alleys, roads, parking areas subject to truck traffic, driveways on other than residential property, and other land such as cultivated, grazing, forest, and orchard

hotwire1955

you would need the point of attachment to be at least 12' to have the drip loops at 10' clearance unless your going over a roof to a mast then 10' point of attachnent would give you 8' clearance to conductors
opps
unless you service head is above point of attachment and it must be so yes 10 ' is code

Status
Not open for further replies.