From Texas: ICC or PSI...What is the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late last year Texas went to PSI instead of ICC testing.

I recently purchased some study materials from ElectricianTesting.com and asked for the PSI crash course and they sent the ICC version.

I had to put in a complaint to PayPal because they wouldn't return phone calls or emails. They finally responded and sent me the wrong books.

I'm through with trying to call them anymore.

Does anyone know what the difference is between these two exams. I tested last week and got 70 but needed 75. It is all open book, 100 questions; 5 hours. I'm going back next week.

Any help would be appreciated.

aaatraker

Did you go to the PSI site? They usually have a state listing, with what is on the test and the sources for the questions. Maybe you can compare the study material you got to there list. I just recently took a PSI test in Virginia, if you look for I passed Va masters by aaatraker I listed what I hope was good info.
Good luck to you.

Kurt

Last edited:
Texas Master's Exam Passed!

Texas Master's Exam Passed!

Did you go to the PSI site? They usually have a state listing, with what is on the test and the sources for the questions. Maybe you can compare the study material you got to there list. I just recently took a PSI test in Virginia, if you look for I passed Va masters by aaatraker I listed what I hope was good info.
Good luck to you.

Kurt

I didn't see your post until now. Thanks for posting what you did.

I did pass today. :)

4 tests in one month! I had the PSI stuff on my desk but didn't know what the ICC was.

Today I thought I missed it again because they dumped in a whole smelly bucket of terms and words not found in the index pages in the front and backs of the NEC and asked questions that couldn't be referenced. The test writers write these tests so you have to memorize the 822 small font type pages, or take the test so many times you eventually rember the right answers. I'm almost 60 so my memory is not what it should be so you young bucks should pass it easily but buy the videos, exam question books, and work hard on it. It takes 125% devotion to pass.

My problem was with Continuing Education.com and what study materials they sent and the stuff they highlighted wasn't what was on PSI's test questions. I had to highlight the answers after I got home from each time I tested. It is not a good thing to say bad things about other companies, but they did me wrong and sold me the ICC material to unload their old stock. Texas is only a PSI exam state now. I specifically asked for the PSI books.

Hope you all pass too!:grin:

Mike

p051981

master exam

master exam

Since you passed the test, maybe you can help me pass it to. What do you think I really need to focus on my studies? What study materials really help you for the exam?

jeremysterling

I passed the ICC Texas Master last year. I hear the new PSI test will be somewhat different, but how different, I can't say. To me, a test is a test.

I took the ICC pen and paper test, and from what I understand, the PSI test will be administered by computer.

However, I recommend the Mike Holt NEC Exam Prep Book. I bought this book six months before the test date and I worked a chapter per week prior to exam date. I carefully read and did all the homework questions. The examples and homework questions made clear the concepts of the NEC and the installations it covers.

I felt very confident after completing the workbook. I did not even bother with the included practice tests, but I would not discourage anyone from trying them.

Good Luck.

ICC vs PSI

ICC vs PSI

Well, if ICC is pen and paper, the PSI exam I took is so much better because of the computer features. You can "mark" any questions as you are taking the test and then you have the option to go back and review those "marked" questions. On my last test, I made 4 changes. If I hadn't, I would not have passed. I not only changed my two marked questions, but I had 14 minutes left and went back to question #1 and double checked each answer and changed two more.

Get the tabbed and highlighted NEC 2008 book and make sure it is highlighted for the PSI (for Texas), & not ICC. Buy extra masters exam and calculation books, and theory; and work on them hard. I didn't and would have probably passed quicker, but the master of my company is in ICU and I've spent a lot of time at the hospital.

Work hard on the Ohms law. Don't test until you can do it series, parallel, series/parallel, be able to figure voltage drops at each resistive load. Lots of questions here. You need to know it better than your driver's license number.

The other heavily concentrated area of questions would be transformers, their loads, fuses, conductors, and types.

I've got licenses in other fields including real estate and the USCG Merchant Marine Officer's license and this one tops the list in difficullty for examinations. I took my ICCBI Journeyman's test ten years ago and it was easier compared to this one.

It's not a gimme like on a golf course. You really have to study and take all of the practice exams you can buy, and do the ones you are weak in over and over. Leave the TV off and ship out the kids.

I wish the best to all of you....this is a tough test.

Minuteman

Off topic, somewhat. Up to this point Oklahoma and Texas don't allow reciprocation. Must be part of the Red River Rivalry,or somethin'. Anyway, Oklahoma went to PSI some 6-7 years ago. I took the Master (Well, they don't call it a Master. They call it Contractor, but it's the only step above Journeyman) in 2004. Recently Oklahoma changed from 70% to 75% for a passing grade. Wonder if the winds of reciprocation are a blowing?

Testing and titles....

Testing and titles....

Follow this link for reciprocity. It give you a good sense of Texas's requirements. I think we will be seeing more reciprocity between states as time progresses as the code is THE NEC!

http://www.license.state.tx.us/electricians/elecfaq.htm#reciprocity

Texas requires a minimum of 75% to pass and it is called the Master's Examination. We then shell out more money when we have our insurance in place and then we receive our "Contractor's License". Two separate licenses and two fees annually just to the state.

Off topic:

I carry 2 mil in insurance and may go to an LLC for more protection. We only need $300,000.

I live and run my business where we have a ton of cities and communities and each one usually wants a fee to register; as much as $150 per community. I just work a certain area; about 6 cities and the county because I work alone with no apprentices. www.HatcherElectric.com

jeremysterling

Well, if ICC is pen and paper, the PSI exam I took is so much better because of the computer features...

FWIW, the ICC offered both computer and pen/paper tests before they were run out of Texas.

I, too, took the (2000) SBCCI journeyman test to get my Pasadena and Baytown licenses. In 2001, I sat for and passed the Houston J-man test. Too bad no one has to take the Houston test anymore because the electrical board there sure knows how to write a test.

Status
Not open for further replies.