Air tite

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclary's electrical

On most recessed fixtures, there are a list of trims that meet air tight requirements. I always thought air tight would be a job spec. Yesterday an inspector told me any time I put a recessed can in a ceiling that has an attic above it, the fixture would have to be air tight. He wanted me to use shower trims. Luckily, the normal enclosed trim that I always use meets the air tight requirement, but my question is,

Is this a real code? or did he make it up? if it's real, what code is it? IRC? USBC? I know it is not worded that way in NEC. I want to be able to lay my eyes on the code that requires a recessed fixture in a ceiling that is under an attic to be airtight.

SEO

You might ask your inspector what code he is citing. Michigan uses the Michigan Uniform Energy Code. When recessed lighting fixtures are installed in the building envelope they are required to be air- tight have air-tight trim or be installed in a sealed box constructed of gypsum that is air-tight.

Probably won't help you but the section in the Michigan code is N1102.1.11 Recessed lighting fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.