SK Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEO

I've used SK tools for years and have had very good luck. I had an issue with a socket that cracked but it was replaced with no charge.

brian john

My first set of tools was SK, no issues with them at all, the only reason I switched to Craftsman and Snap on was the connivence of buying them.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
K8MHZ,

I prefer craftsman over Snap-On but that just my personal preference.

I never heard of SK before.

SK is MADE IN THE USA.

Well, if you saw my set of Craftsman combo wrenches next to my set of Snap-On combos, you may reconsider. But, you get what you pay for. The set of Craftsman were about 50 bucks. The set of Snap-Ons were 235 bucks.

I used to work for a car dealership. We got paid flat rate. Every tech in every dealership I have ever seen used Snap-On tools.

For home and on a construction site, Snap-On is expensive overkill. For those jobs, Craftsman will do.

All my SK tools are still in perfect shape, although showing their appropriate ages. My Craftsman wrenches are marred and pitted, but still usable. You can't put anywhere near the torque on a Craftsman wrench that you can put on a Snap-On. My Snap-On combo wrench set is 16 years old and still looks like brand new. Pretty remarkable considering the wrenches have a mirror polished finish.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
i have a few s.k ratchets and wrenches , there really good , i like them a little bit more then my craftsman ones :grin:

SK also makes bigger tools than Craftsman. They have a real nice line of 3/4 inch sockets with 3/4 inch ratchets and breaker bars. I think they are made for trains and iron workers.

I have a 1/2 inch SK breaker bar that I have cheated with a 2 foot piece of pipe and the bar didn't even twitch. I figured I was putting about 600 pounds of torque on it. My full weight time three feet of leverage.

Strangely enough, the best impact sockets I have were part of a cheap 1/2 inch air impact set. The impact wrench literally broke apart (in half) in my hands one day. I still have all the sockets, all deep well and thick walled, and they are still in perfect shape. They have taken all the abuse of my Ingersoll Rand 231 for years without so much as a complaint.

hurk27

SK was a premium brand found in auto parts stores for years, but then they tried to compete with some of the other lower cost brands and kind of fell short on endurance in the last 20 years, but then so did everyone else, except maybe snap on, I have had SK, Mac, Williams, and a few other brands in my tool box, but I always stuck with Craftsman because of the availability and ease of returns when they broke, Snap On you had to chase down truck if they didn't make regular stops at your place.:roll: and the cost was high.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
SK are considered a premium tool much like snap on. You just dont see them around. I have a small socket set.

I love SK tools. I was handed down a bunch of SK tools from my grandfather. A buddy of mine told me the broken socket that was nearly 50 years old (and ratchet) could be replaced free if I went to an SK dealer. A simple over the counter exchange was all it took for me be a real fan.

I also have an SK socket for the 5 sided power company penta bolts for vaults & transformers. Very few companies make that particular configuration.

Like some others have said, there are personal preferences involved as well. It depends mostly for me how much abuse do I need the tool to stand up to. Snap on is the Bentley, SK is the BMW IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.