Hospital grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon Loyd

I read that if you are feeding a patient care area with more than one source, that the panels feeding that area are to bonded with an unbroken #10 ground wire. Is this true also the 277 lighting overhead in the same area, or just for the 120 devices within reach?

jumper

I read that if you are feeding a patient care area with more than one source, that the panels feeding that area are to bonded with an unbroken #10 ground wire. Is this true also the 277 lighting overhead in the same area, or just for the 120 devices within reach?

Are we talking about 517.19(C) here? 2005 code. It is for receptacles. Panels are 517.19(D).

Volta

The voltage or load type is not mentioned, so it would include panels serving the patient care vicinity, regardless of load or connection type - 517.14.

It could be interpreted to only pertain to wiring that includes essential systems, but also could be read to connect the busses of any system type serving the vicinity.

I would call it any, whether essential exists or not.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The intent is that all electrically supplied conductive surfaces in a patient care area have an equipotential of less than .1 ohm and must test this way, see chapter 4 of NFPA 99.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.