satelite tv interfrence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got an interesting call today. HO says when the boiler kicks on it causes interference on 2 of his televisions (satelite tv), but not on his other tv's. Going to look at this job on thursday. Anyone have experience with a similar situation or have any thoughts or ideas about this.

HO says he had the satelite guys there and the found no problems with their equipment/signal.

As always, thanks in advance for any input.

mcclary's electrical

Got an interesting call today. HO says when the boiler kicks on it causes interference on 2 of his televisions (satelite tv), but not on his other tv's. Going to look at this job on thursday. Anyone have experience with a similar situation or have any thoughts or ideas about this.

HO says he had the satelite guys there and the found no problems with their equipment/signal.

As always, thanks in advance for any input.

I don't think it applies here. But I once installed a 4 ft 4 tube wrap as a direct replacement for an exact fixture. When you turned the light on, It would put static lines on every TV in the house. I first ensured the light was grounded and it was. Second I changed the ballast to another electronic ballast of a different brand and everything worked perfect. I still have that ballast, I want to experiment with it and a scope, but Ihaven't had time

First question- how long has this been going on and was the boiler serviced around then? Second question- is this an oil burner with a spark igniter? Sparks can toss off all kinds of electrical noise, and some devices are more sensitive to it than others.

lack of info !!

lack of info !!

sorry about the lack of info......wife was working late and was trying to get the 22 month old, the 2 step kids, and the 17 year old fed when the call came in. I didn't ask nearly what I should have......Just the address and when they were available. After the mayhem at home slowed down I had a few questions I wanted to ask the HO, but all I got was his answering machine and he hasn't called back yet.

thanks for the replies....I was thinking about the spark igniter.

ty

One of the times I've seen this happen it was with an A/C.
Everytime the a/c kicked on, static in TV.
followed the coax, and whoever ran it on the sill plate had it twisted around the a/c wiring about ever 5 ft. untwisted it from around a/c line and problem went away.

Last edited:

bhsrnd

Some problems I've read about regarding this issue pointed to a faulty thermostat. Apparently, if the thermostat is going bad it can generator EMI across electrical wiring in the house. That, of course, could affect the satellite signal coming into the TV via coax connections. Without more info on the situation it's hard to say.

One thing I have done that has fixed something similar to this issue is to change the connection between the cable box, and the tv. Go to the best visual cable as you can, HDMI would be best, but if you have coax, S-Video would be ok, or VGA. Solved my issue, but thats only if you have the option to change the input type on your tv, and output at your box. :) Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.