Vertical Conduit Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

aramg83

Good afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone could help me do a physical load calculation of sorts, or at least point me to a resource they know of online.

T&B-Kindorf has this resource on their website describing the maximum allowable load on horizontal racks of varying lengths, depending on the type of strut one uses:

http://tnblnx3.tnb.com/emAlbum/albums//kd_us/kd_1_g_spec_metallic.pdf

Now suppose you had a concrete wall and you mounted your rack vertically parallel to the wall with L-brackets holding the rack about 12" from the wall. How would you go about determining what kind of load could be supported?

Let me know if you need further info or description. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Aram

Article 90.1

Aram, I'm picturing a 12" rack perpendicular to the wall, but on the horizontal plane by your description. Non-technical answer is that it would not support all that much weight with just l brackets. I think if the brackets were on top it would support a greater shear load. What I have seen in the field is a kicker going back to the wall so that the wall, the kicker and the strut form a triangle.

Engineers?

aramg83

The rack isn't mounted on the horizontal plane. My best way to describe it would be to say the top of the strut is 12'-0" above the floor and the bottom, 11'-0", and conduits would be mounted on top of one another (spaced by straps, of course) along the run, and the entire rack is 12" from the wall.

L-bracket may not be the correct term but they of sort of look that way--long angle irons almost, keeping the rack 12" off the wall. These are existing racks supporting 3/4" and 1" conduit and I need to figure out if they can support any additional small conduits.

Let me know if more info is needed.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Regardless of which way the conduits run, the 12" extension gives the weight a lot of leverage over the hardware.

There needs to be a diagonal arm against the wall, between or below the brackets, kinda like a reinforced shelf bracket.

Added: The idea is to keep the rectangle from parallelogramming. <--- big word of the day

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.