120 volt relay question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jango

I have a scenario where I have a Grafik Eye control and one of the loads is an exhaust fan in a laundry room. Can someone recommend a relay where the Grafik Eye load output activates the relay which switches over to a constant power circuit to activate the exhaust fan. I need the relay to be as small as possible for it is going into a 4x4 metal box. In the box, I have the switched load control from the Grafik Eye (sw hot and neut), I have constant power (hot and neutral) and I have the load out to the fan (black and white). Any and all help on this would be quite helpful....:)

iwire

Staff member
What is the voltage and amperage of your fan?

Functional Devices will likely have something that will fit. That is going to be one full 4" sq. Is it surface mounted so you can hang the relay outside the box through a KO?

P-RelaysSensors.jpg

http://hvac.functionaldevices.com/chartRelays.html

mxslick

Is the Grafik Eye doing any dimming? If so you may encounter problems with the relay chattering (or burning out) if its coil is connected to a dimming circuit.

Lutron makes modules that can do what you want to do, i.e. drive the motor as a "switched" or "relay" load even as a separate control zone.

Otherwise I would put the exhaust fan on a occupancy sensor.

Bob's relay looks like a good choice if the Grafik Eye isn't doing any dimming.

I did a similar installation years ago and I ordered and 6 x 6 or 8 x 8 box, I am not sure what it was. The point is that at the end, I ended up with the box being packed with wires. I learned a lesson. After that, every time I order a box, I count everything that is going into it to make sure it is going to fit. I thought I mention this since your 4 x 4 box might not make it.

I was working on a wiring diagram using one of the relays that iwire recommended. The first thing I needed to know is the voltage at the control leads from the Grafik Eye. I'll keep working on it assuming it is 120V. The next thing is the demand needed is the current that the constant power source will pull. Please send those. Thanks

jango

I was working on a wiring diagram using one of the relays that iwire recommended. The first thing I needed to know is the voltage at the control leads from the Grafik Eye. I'll keep working on it assuming it is 120V. The next thing is the demand needed is the current that the constant power source will pull. Please send those. Thanks

Yes, the voltage control leads of the GE will be 120V. The current that the constant power source will pull is approx. 2 amps at most.

I have the diagram but every time I try to upload it I get an error message. I'll have to read up to learn how to post it. I'll be back.

Well, it posted but it is too small to be useful. Anyone has any ideas how to post a readable diagram?

The complete diagram is 1704 x 1222 pixels in jpj format or 139 kB in pdf format.

Since I can post a good diagram, I will describe what you see in the thumbnail"

Coming out of the RIBU1C relay, there are four wires. From left to right their color is:
White/Black
White/Yellow
Yellow
Orange

The White/Black connects to the Hot of the Hot of the Grafik Eye.
The White/Yellow connects to the Neutral of the Grafik Eye.
The Yellow connects to the Hot from the constant power.
The Orange connectos to the Hot side of the fan.
The neutral from the constant power connects to neutral side of the fan.

Of course, the constant power has its own supply and all unused wires in the relay should be capped.

jango

Since I can post a good diagram, I will describe what you see in the thumbnail"

Coming out of the RIBU1C relay, there are four wires. From left to right their color is:
White/Black
White/Yellow
Yellow
Orange

The White/Black connects to the Hot of the Hot of the Grafik Eye.
The White/Yellow connects to the Neutral of the Grafik Eye.
The Yellow connects to the Hot from the constant power.
The Orange connectos to the Hot side of the fan.
The neutral from the constant power connects to neutral side of the fan.

Of course, the constant power has its own supply and all unused wires in the relay should be capped.

Thanks very much!!! Very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.