Lay-in Fixtures No Grid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blingbling4r

We have a customer who bought 13 troffer style 2x4 fixtures but can't afford to buy the grid that it goes in. This is an office style application.

Is it legal to just suspend the 2x4 troffer fixtures with jack chain or something until they get the money to buy the grid?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
410.6 now requires luminaires to be listed. (110.3(B)). I would wonder if what you purpose is in the installation instructions.:)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why wouldn't a troffer hung from building steel on chain not be allowed? Looks like you know what but I don't see an issue with it. I also think I would run from that job.

cadpoint

Where's jack chain's distance cousin, "Rod" ?... granted the bulk of a 2x4 is not very cosmic looking; there's a DMV office in a neighborhood Mall that has exactly that thing, using "Rod"... :)

Exposed structure to the ceiling, yes I studied it, it's high and tight, JMO

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

I would want my money upfront. The grid itself is not costly, the tiles are. Are they NEW fixtures ? Be carefull they could have problems like been fired up on wrong voltage. Do they have the required disconnects in them ? I think i would run fast.

Jim W in Tampa

It also is making your job harder. After its out of the box it is like a 1 minute or less job to lay it in. Then depending on local demands needs grid wires or screws. Could be some liability issues if it springs open accidently. You have not followed install instructions so ahj could reject it. As far as fire or shock i see no issues. And when he gets the money to buy grid i bet the sub for that have electrician come back and raise them first. Then you can hope all the wires and chains still match up to his patern. Simply put its creating far more work for you before its over.

Status
Not open for further replies.