Lb,lr, ll, c condalet

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Nope.

If you look at a standard 2" conduit body it will say 3 - 4/0s max.

Use a section of 4" x 4" NEMA 1 trough instead of a conduit body or increase the size of the conduit body.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Interesting that it is marked on the emt LB's etc, but I have never seen it on a 2" PVC LB. I will have to check more closely. :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Interesting that it is marked on the emt LB's etc, but I have never seen it on a 2" PVC LB. I will have to check more closely. :)
The only way you can get around the sizing rule in 314.28(A)(2) is if the maximum size and number of conductors is marked on the LB. 314.28(A)(3). This is a rule that is often violated as many assume that the wire fill for a conduit body is the same as the conduit. This is not true for conductors that are #4 and larger.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I actually looked inside the 2" PVC LB at the supply company and it stated 3-4/0 wires. I guess that means I could put 2- 3/0 and 1- 1/0 with #6 ground. This is what I usually do....

3- 4/0 assuming THHN is equal to .9711 sq. in.
2- 3/0, 1- 1/0 and #6 is equal to .7720 sq. in.

Not sure how to convert since insulation size is not mentioned. Perhaps the insulation would not be needed for the calculation. That seems odd- why not just state max size 4/0 wire and then give a cu.in size allowable.

SEO

Dennis your method may make sense but the stamping states a max of three conductors with a max size of 4/0. There was another thread on this topic that You may want to take a look at. If all your conductors are under #4 than you are not limited to 3 conductors.

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I actually looked inside the 2" PVC LB at the supply company and it stated 3-4/0 wires. I guess that means I could put 2- 3/0 and 1- 1/0 with #6 ground. This is what I usually do....

3- 4/0 assuming THHN is equal to .9711 sq. in.
2- 3/0, 1- 1/0 and #6 is equal to .7720 sq. in.

Not sure how to convert since insulation size is not mentioned. Perhaps the insulation would not be needed for the calculation. That seems odd- why not just state max size 4/0 wire and then give a cu.in size allowable.

Beside the max size, there is also a max number. You can't put 4 4/0 in the aforementioned LB.

There is also bend radius to consider. A single conductor of .940 (900 kcmil) would be tough to install in a 2 inch PVC lb without damage, if not impossible.

mcclary's electrical

Beside the max size, there is also a max number. You can't put 4 4/0 in the aforementioned LB.

There is also bend radius to consider. A single conductor of .940 (900 kcmil) would be tough to install in a 2 inch PVC lb without damage, if not impossible.

I vote impossible

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis your method may make sense but the stamping states a max of three conductors with a max size of 4/0. There was another thread on this topic that You may want to take a look at. If all your conductors are under #4 than you are not limited to 3 conductors.

Does it state 3 conductors with a max size 4/0. I didn't have my glasses on so they read it to me. I thought it just stated 3- 4/0 max.

Edit-- I just found an LR in the basement that states vol. 68.4 cu. in. no conductor size....

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see where the volume enters into this if the conductor size in #4 or larger. There is nothing in 314.28 to even suggest that the volume of the conduit body or of the conductors is part of the sizing of a conduit body or box used as a pull point for conductors #4 and larger. The only thing that enters into the sizing is the size of the raceway.

I have no idea how you can make a calculation for the use of combination of conductors in a conduit body. I see no issue with using the same number of smaller conductors, but when you want to use more conductors than listed on the fitting, I can't see any permission to make any type of calculation.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Edit-- I just found an LR in the basement that states vol. 68.4 cu. in. no conductor size....
Then that fitting cannot be used with conductors #4 and larger unless the spacing between the conduit entries meet the requirements in 314.28(A)(2).

You would used the volume to make a calculation as to the permitted number of conductors #6 and smaller based on the conductor volumes found in Table 314.16(B).

Status
Not open for further replies.