sharing normal and emerg ckts in same raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvan

Can normal and emergency power ckts be share in the same raceway?

I have a 2-section wiremold, 1 for data and 1 for pwr, but the pwr has both normal and emergency ckts.

the emergency ckts are not life safety.

thanks in advance

Can normal and emergency power ckts be share in the same raceway?

I have a 2-section wiremold, 1 for data and 1 for pwr, but the pwr has both normal and emergency ckts.

the emergency ckts are not life safety.

thanks in advance

This has been a debate here before, because that type of 'wiremold' raceway may be considered 2 seperate race ways (as it has data class 2 and power seperated by a divider). I Hold to the beliefe that even if it is, its still not a good practice to have both normal and emergency in the same type of raceway like that. Also the NEC 2008 700.9(B) saying it needs to be entirely independent of other cicuits.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Also the NEC 2008 700.9(B) saying it needs to be entirely independent of other cicuits.

And when presented to an IAEI panel consisting of Vince Saporita, (CMP 11) David Mercier, (CMP 7 Alt) John Minick, (Retired CMP member) Mark Ode, (TCC Alt, CMP 3 Alt, and CMP 4) Jim Carpenter, Keith Lofland, (director of education, codes and standards for IAEI International) Mark Earley, (see pages 9 and 20 of the NEC and the cover of the NECH) Richard Loyd, (CMP 8) and Alan Manche (CMP 10), it was stated by Vince Saporito that after a conversation with Mark Ode and John Minick a permanent divider constitutes "entirely independant", no other panel members objected to this.

Roger

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
May be I misunderstood but the OP made it sound as if the data is being used for data and the power is being used for both normal and emergency power.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
May be I misunderstood but the OP made it sound as if the data is being used for data and the power is being used for both normal and emergency power.

I agree that is what the OP is saying and I also agree with you that 700.9(B) is clear and would prohibit these two power systems being in the same compartment.

Roger

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You call them emergency but not life safety.
Where do they fall in the NEC 700, 701 or 702?
Good question. When I see "emergency," I think 700. When I see "life safety," I think 517. But I am always careful to verify the speaker/writer's intent, because such terms are often used incorrectly or imprecisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.