Bid Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiderMT

Hey guys. Just wanted to see where some of you would be on a project I bid today. Here are the particulars.

-remove and replace 8 parallel runs of 3x500mcm about 120' each
-remove and replace 8 parallel runs of 3x350mcm about 75' each
-remove and replace 1200A split buss switchboard with 4-600A breakers, electrically interlocked so only 2 breakers can be closed at any time, switchboard cost was about $21,000
-remove and replace control wiring for four generators that parallel with the utility, there are about 80 terminations, all #12, approx. 100' per run
-Davis -Bacon wage, package is about $77.00 an hour, and the job is out of town. Per Diem of $150 per day. Work has to be done in 1 week, I figure 4 guys.

That, in a basic description is the whole project. I think we got it but was told we left quite a bit on the table. Usually I'm high and trying to figure out, what did I miss?!

WinZip

If you get to keep the scrap that's removed it may help your end result. job like that is hard to figure without having more details an site survey.

I us to bid schools re pulling in new feeders from transformer pads to switch gear an we would figure what the scrap was worth an deduct that from our quote an would usually be low bid.

SpiderMT

We do get to keep the scrap. I am pretty familiar with the site, we just completed another project there. With what copper is worth right now I think we should be alright. Just got nervous when I was told we left quite a bit on the table. Another post i just read got me thinking though, there was only one other bidder and maybe they didn't want it that bad. Wish I'd have known, sure could use that extra profit right now!

satcom

We do get to keep the scrap. I am pretty familiar with the site, we just completed another project there. With what copper is worth right now I think we should be alright. Just got nervous when I was told we left quite a bit on the table. Another post i just read got me thinking though, there was only one other bidder and maybe they didn't want it that bad. Wish I'd have known, sure could use that extra profit right now!

Who said, you left quite a bit on the table? and who told you there was only one other bidder?

SpiderMT

GC. Why? We have a good working relationship and they usually let me know where I'm at after bid time. Sometime I'm high, somtimes I'm low. And this town isn't that big, you generally know who you are bidding against.

satcom

Ask him to let you add a bit of 'table money' back in. :cool:

Yes, if you have such a good working relationship, he may let you add a bit of 'table money ' back in, The GC's we work with would take that table money, and take their family on a great vacation.

SpiderMT

The 155ish number was after we had a little sit down at the table, those were the numbers i was comfortable with! I'm lucky that it was with a contractor that didn't do as you said, take the money and run.

SpiderMT

I started at about $120,000. I have been getting my butt kicked on every bid lately so I sharpened the pencil on this one but didn't think it was by as much as $35,000. After my first post I went back through and saw areas where I had trimmed to many hours, left out materials and not done enough review before submitting. I don't know what the other bid was but after I added that money in I was still low. Like I said maybe the other guy didn't want it that bad. I know there were 4 other shops that were invited to bid and none of them even submitted pricing. The work is out of town, about 5 hours drive, and that probably played a part in there decision.

The performance period will actually be nine days straight, so a little over a week and we will work 10-12 hour days. A sub will take care of the generator controls so that adds a couple of extra guys. I realize a little ambitious but I think it can be done, the GC will have men on the job I can utilize if need be to help also.

Benaround, how many men would you use for this work? Although it is alot of work it is actually a small area and in my experience to many guys tends to slow things down. I have a game plan and and if we can stick to it (yeah I know, the best laid plans:roll:) we will get it done.

Finally, I don't often post but I have been a member here for 4 years or so. This site and it's members have been one of the best teachers I've had. A lot of what I have learned here has taken me from being a small residential remodel guy to being in the position to bid government projects like this and I want to thank all of you regulars for the time invested and knowledge freely given to help out guys like me.

benaround

Spider, Four men on the job is fine, but, 4x40=160 hr. , I think your last post said it best,

ie. a week of 10-12 hr. days. so, 4x70=340 hr including the overtime. That's $13,860 difference

A good plan can go a long way in this business, and I can understand losing bid after bid

in this economy is just no fun at all. At any rate, good luck, have fun, and make some $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.