Supply House Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJW

A few days ago I needed an 8'- 2 tube HO strip and there happened to be a CES electric supply a few blocks from where I was working. I usually don't use these guys but the next closest supplier was over an hour round trip away so I gave them a shot.

I told the counter guy I needed a fixture and two lamps. He said the fixture was $75.50 and the lamps were $3.77 each. I thought this was pricey but I was willing to pay for the convenience. I told him to pull them. When he returned he asked if I would be paying with a credit card. I said that no I had an account. He looked a little shocked but looked up my company name and processed my order.

Fast forward to today. I get an email with the invoice attached. I opened it and my jaw about hit the floor. The fixture was $80.21 and the lamps were $4.88 each. I could not believe it. An average Joe homeowner off the street can walk in and get better pricing than an established customer.

Not really a question here I just needed to rant. My first call in the morning will be to them but I shouldn't have to waste my time with it. These wholesalers complain about being slow but they sure don't do anything to help themselves. I didn't spend a lot of money with them in the past but it was more than I will spend with them in the future. Thanks for listening - I feel better.

wireguru

maybe the CC price was the 'cash price' and since you never buy from them they have your account set to their highest pricing tier?

Riograndeelectric

A few days ago I needed an 8'- 2 tube HO strip and there happened to be a CES electric supply a few blocks from where I was working. I usually don't use these guys but the next closest supplier was over an hour round trip away so I gave them a shot.

I told the counter guy I needed a fixture and two lamps. He said the fixture was $75.50 and the lamps were $3.77 each. I thought this was pricey but I was willing to pay for the convenience. I told him to pull them. When he returned he asked if I would be paying with a credit card. I said that no I had an account. He looked a little shocked but looked up my company name and processed my order.

Fast forward to today. I get an email with the invoice attached. I opened it and my jaw about hit the floor. The fixture was $80.21 and the lamps were $4.88 each. I could not believe it. An average Joe homeowner off the street can walk in and get better pricing than an established customer.

Not really a question here I just needed to rant. My first call in the morning will be to them but I shouldn't have to waste my time with it. These wholesalers complain about being slow but they sure don't do anything to help themselves. I didn't spend a lot of money with them in the past but it was more than I will spend with them in the future. Thanks for listening - I feel better.

I buy from CES here and the pricing is normally done by the branch manger.
I have had some problems with wrong pricing from CES and also other suppliers. my CES branch is pretty good to work with at pricing problems. yes CES is most of the time higher than other suppliers but CES is also a smaller supply house. some time you have to pay for convenience. just MY opinion.
I Am working with my Local CES on lighting Retro fit job and they beat my other suppliers price.
co

ty

I pay closer to 10 bucks for (1) 8ft HO tube. And the fixture is closer to 90 bucks.

But I would have an issue if I was given one price and billed a different amount.
Didn't you have to sign a slip for your purchase, and if so, didn't it have the prices listed?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There is definitely something to be said for a small EC, like myself, using the same supplier. When your back is against the wall they can step in and help.

The other day my supplier sold me a DP 50 GFCI GE breaker. The price was $125.00-- I about hit the ceiling. When I said the last time I bought one it was $84 or $85 they said there had been a price increase.

I sent an email to the owner, at the managers suggestion and said Home Depot had them for $84.00 ( I found this out a few days later). He said his cost was more than that but would credit me $40.00 and raise hell with GE.

I have been doing business with them, almost exclusively, for 30 years. This is one of many circumstance where they have come thru for me.

As far as CES-- we have one here also and I occasionally go there-- they are sometimes much cheaper than my supplier and sometime much more. Just like the grocery stores.:)

satcom

There is definitely something to be said for a small EC, like myself, using the same supplier. When your back is against the wall they can step in and help.

The other day my supplier sold me a DP 50 GFCI GE breaker. The price was $125.00-- I about hit the ceiling. When I said the last time I bought one it was $84 or $85 they said there had been a price increase.

I sent an email to the owner, at the managers suggestion and said Home Depot had them for $84.00 ( I found this out a few days later). He said his cost was more than that but would credit me $40.00 and raise hell with GE.

I have been doing business with them, almost exclusively, for 30 years. This is one of many circumstance where they have come thru for me.

As far as CES-- we have one here also and I occasionally go there-- they are sometimes much cheaper than my supplier and sometime much more. Just like the grocery stores.:)

We find about the same here, and yes, there is definitely something to be said for a small EC, using the same supplier. "When your back is against the wall they can step in and help."

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
To me, just going to HD in the first place saves time and aggravation, especially if there's one close, which there usually is.

dmagyar

I've had issues with Platt & CES

I've had issues with Platt & CES

With Platt I bought a bag of 100 1.5"X1.5" cable tie stick on bases, which on my bill ended up costing $75.00, when I flipped, they were very nice and took back the panduit product. With CES it was two gang bell boxes with six 1/2" hubs. They cost me twice the cost that I afterward saw the same product at a big box store. Metallic cord grips are another item that the price bugs me. I can buy a 1/2" metal sealtight straight connector for about 1/3 of what a steel 1/2" X.250 cord grip is.

With these situations I learned that I needed to get a price beforehand, then no one gets surprised.

fishin' electrician

Dennis,

The next time you need a GE 2P 50A GFCI Breaker, go to HD, and look for the Midwest 50A Spa Disconnect. Right now, at 49.99, you get the GE 2P 50A GFCI Breaker in a 4 space 3R panel. Unbelievable at nearly half the cost of the breaker alone. I believe they have the same in 60A for 79.99.

Don't tell anyone else ;)!

mcclary's electrical

This is a silly rant, mainly because they were very good prices they gave you. I ordered 130 8' t8 HO's 4100 last month for 7 bucks a piece, 5100 were 9 bucks a piece. The price for the fixture is competitive also.

satcom

This is a silly rant, mainly because they were very good prices they gave you. I ordered 130 8' t8 HO's 4100 last month for 7 bucks a piece, 5100 were 9 bucks a piece. The price for the fixture is competitive also.

If I have to penny pinch a supplier to make a job work, I have the wrong customer.

JacksonburgFarmer

City Electric Supply.....oh you gotta love them....

Pricing quoted not matching the emailed invoice....sounds all to familiar:mad:
We no longer will buy from them, and I regret the day I walked into their store to buy anything....That day started the trail of headaches. Their prices were lower, but I have found that the aggrevation was much higher.....

scwirenut

the reason the prices were different was because when he quoted you, he thought you were a cash customer, once you use your account , the pricing is done by the branch manager later, (from your home branch), not visiting branch. this keeps your market pricing the same everywhere based on your historical buys. in your case, the branch manager of your home branch didnt have a clue you were quoted from a visiting branch. its called a "double booking". call your home branch manager to change it, the visiting branch has zero control over your pricing.

mcclary's electrical

the reason the prices were different was because when he quoted you, he thought you were a cash customer, once you use your account , the pricing is done by the branch manager later, (from your home branch), not visiting branch. this keeps your market pricing the same everywhere based on your historical buys. in your case, the branch manager of your home branch didnt have a clue you were quoted from a visiting branch. its called a "double booking". call your home branch manager to change it, the visiting branch has zero control over your pricing.

A cash customer should be the highest tier price. I would be PO'd

MJW

They did mention something about double booking and had to call someone when I was there. I have had a busy couple of days and have not had a chance to call them. I will let you know what they say.

I don't think this is a silly rant because I don't think a guy off the street should get better pricing than an established customer. I guess I could use a credit card every time or maybe I could send my customer down there because they get better pricing than I do (j/k).

satcom

Many of the supply houses are losing their share of the market due to game playing with established customers, the last price you paid game, is an insult to any sober customer.

brian john

Years ago at a local family owned supply house, I bought several dimmers, the counter guy asked if these were for me or the company, I explained they were for my house, expecting a better price.

He charged me more than HD, when I questioned why, he explained contractor discounts do not apply to items bought for personal use. The dimmers remained on the counter and I walked out.

I have never been back there and tell anyone I can, not to deal with them, it has not impacted me one bit, but I hope I have affected their bottom line if only for a few pennies.

benaround

Whats funny is, you are the same guys that will go to a 'tavern' and pay $3.00 for a

beer and stay there half the night, and then leave a tip ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.