Backfeedable 800a Main??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBman

We will soom be working at a project where the town's community recreation and town hall building is tied into a small hydro-power generator system---max output 2kW. It was installed three years ago as a demostration piece----Donated. Town got caught having to do additional work though.

They were required at the time to change out the main disconnect to upgrade to a cold sequence from a hot sequence scenerio, but the town manager is saying they were required to do all this because the main disconnect had to be changed to a backfeedable main. What is the actual mechanical difference between an 800a 480Y/277 backfeedable main and a standard main? We are only redoing some offices, but I have not seen this before?

Thanks,
JB

benaround

Thats crazy, all that time and money for 2000w of power ? I guess it all helps in the long

run. Ok, if you buy a 'main' panel, the 800a c.b. would be factory installed on the panel.

A backfed c.b. would be installed by the 'EC' into a MLO type panel, hardware would also

be needed to hold the backfed 'main' c.b. in place.

JBman

Frank,
I am trying to figure out mechanically how is the BF cb different from the one they had before? If the standard one, as I would imagine, is Line and Load with a fuse--what does the BF Main look like? Or how does it work differently?

JBman

Frank,
Trying to figure out what the diffrence is between the BF C.B. main and the standard main? What I am assuming is the standard is a Line and Load with a fuse and when it's open it would still be hot? I am visually trying to see how the BF C.B gets around this?
Thanks

benaround

JB,

Without knowing all the facts it's hard to be sure answering a question like this. But, that

has never stopped anyone here before. :). My guess would be that the hydro system

needs to be connected to the 800a bus, for use by the building or to sell back to the grid

system and the Power Co. required the 800a 'main' to be able to disconnect the hydro from

their system, like they do with solar power.

The function of the two types is the same, the location of the line/load conductors and

how it effects the busbars is different.

zog

We will soom be working at a project where the town's community recreation and town hall building is tied into a small hydro-power generator system---max output 2kW. It was installed three years ago as a demostration piece----Donated. Town got caught having to do additional work though.

They were required at the time to change out the main disconnect to upgrade to a cold sequence from a hot sequence scenerio, but the town manager is saying they were required to do all this because the main disconnect had to be changed to a backfeedable main. What is the actual mechanical difference between an 800a 480Y/277 backfeedable main and a standard main? We are only redoing some offices, but I have not seen this before?

Thanks,
JB

Max output 2kW
480V 800A buss? Seems a little overkill.
And seems like a wast eof time and money.
Sure you don't mean 200kW? That is a typical small generator size for these little hydro projects. I have done a few of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.