An old research project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
100518-2207 EST

Following is a report from a mid 1950 research project. There were no SCRs, or high voltage transistors, and only a few limited capability power transistors. No integrated circuits and not too many small signal transistors or diodes.

If you read thru this to some extend you will get an idea of what goes into a research project. The work started in the fall of 1955 and was abruptly terminated during Christmas vacation 1957. The reason being the impending severe recession that was apparent to the large manufacturers, but not the public. Very large inventories of cars were occurring. Cars were going toward the 12 to 1 ratio compounding the ignition system problem. Fuel had lead as an additive and this quickly fouled spark plugs. Typically 10,000 miles.

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/2027.42/6922/5/bad1074.0001.001.pdf 10.3 MB
You should probably use about 95% magnification.

jumper

Her is a question for you. What was the last vechicle sold in the us with a carberator?

A quick search says:

Carburetors were the usual fuel delivery method for almost all gasoline-fueled engines up until the late 1980s, when fuel injection became the preferred method of automotive fuel delivery. In the U.S. market, the last carbureted cars were:

* 1990 (General public) : Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Buick Estate Wagon, and Subaru Justy
* 1991 (Police) : Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor with the 5.8 L (351 cu in) engine.
* 1991 (SUV) : Jeep Grand Wagoneer
* 1994 (Light truck) : Isuzu[5]

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
On page 51, FIGURE 9.4 it appears that the 'EXPERIMENTAL CAPACITOR DISCHARGE SYSTEM TRANSFORMER POTTED IN OIL' is made out of a paint can. Pretty crafty indeed.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
On page 51, FIGURE 9.4 it appears that the 'EXPERIMENTAL CAPACITOR DISCHARGE SYSTEM TRANSFORMER POTTED IN OIL' is made out of a paint can. Pretty crafty indeed.
That's nothing new. They've been making RF dummy loads in paint cans for a long time:

PTDL1000.jpg

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
A quick search says:

Carburetors were the usual fuel delivery method for almost all gasoline-fueled engines up until the late 1980s, when fuel injection became the preferred method of automotive fuel delivery. In the U.S. market, the last carbureted cars were:

* 1990 (General public) : Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Buick Estate Wagon, and Subaru Justy
* 1991 (Police) : Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor with the 5.8 L (351 cu in) engine.
* 1991 (SUV) : Jeep Grand Wagoneer
* 1994 (Light truck) : Isuzu[5]
I was all ready to jump in with my Car Talk answer of a 1988 subaru.
Can Click and Clack be wrong?

dbuckley

The capacitor discharge ignition system was a very common electronics magazine project in the 60s/70s, as by then there were decent transistors for the inverter and SCRs to do the triggering.

Reading that paper was an interesting insight into the background of how and why.

My current car doesn't even have a distributor; it has an ignition coil built into the spark plug cap. That came as a surprise to me, but it shouldn't have really, its an obvious thing to do. So (in my four cylinder compact car) thats four coils instead of one coil and a distributor.

hurk27

The capacitor discharge ignition system was a very common electronics magazine project in the 60s/70s, as by then there were decent transistors for the inverter and SCRs to do the triggering.

Reading that paper was an interesting insight into the background of how and why.

My current car doesn't even have a distributor; it has an ignition coil built into the spark plug cap. That came as a surprise to me, but it shouldn't have really, its an obvious thing to do. So (in my four cylinder compact car) thats four coils instead of one coil and a distributor.

CDI ignition systems were first available for GM marine engines way before automobiles, we used to get them for a like engine in a boat but put them in our street rods, until Ac-cell started making them much cheaper, as for boats they were quit expensive. Want to put a GM CID ignition on a ford, just look for the same block engine in an AMC and it drops right in.

As far as the last vehicles that were carburetor aspirated? My "94" 350cid GMC 1 ton van still had a quadra-Jet on it from the factory, so they must have meant only cars and small pickups?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.