AC Condenser - Ground Fault Protection required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KentAT

Does an outdoor AC condenser require GFP for the hermetically sealed motor-compressor?

I'm thinking "yes" from 440.21 (2005/2008), but I haven't found any threads mentioning GFP for AC condensers yet, so I'm wondering if I'm not thinking straight today...

kent

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The "ground fault protection" in 440.21 is the "standard" overload/short circuit protection provided by your off the shelf HACR breaker.
It is not the same as the personnel GF protection required in 210.8

KentAT

I never thought of an HACR breaker as having ground fault protection. I thought their specialty was performance in group motor applications as found in air conditioning equipment (motor-compressor plus outdoor fan in a condenser unit, for example).

Wouldn't 440.21 require a GFP type breaker tripping at 30mA, such as:

-- Cutler-Hammer "Ground Fault Equipment Protectors — 30 mA Sensitivity
QUICKLAG Type: QPGFEP 10,000 Ampere I.C. Thermal-Magnetic Breakers"
-- ...or SquareD "QO-EPD/EPE circuit breakers provide overload and short
circuit protection combined with Class B ground fault
protection. They are designed to provide ground fault
protection of equipment at a 30 milliampere level (EPD) or
100 milliamp level (EPE). They are not designed to protect
people from electrical shock."

I guess I can't say 30mA or 100mA is required, because the Art. 100 definitions of Ground-Fault Prot of Equip doesn't specify a certain fault level, just that it is "...less than those required to protect conductors from damage through the operation of a supply circuit overcurrent device."

kent

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Best I can try to explain in my uneducated way is that if a cable can short phase to phase or it can short phase to ground. A phase to ground short would be a "ground fault". It can also be overloaded. The off the shelf breaker will protect against those occurrences. In addition, if the breaker is supplying air conditioning/refrigeration it needs to have a HACR listing

That has nothing to do with the 5ma Personnel Ground Fault protection or the 30 ma ground fault protection required for deicing and floor heat

Status
Not open for further replies.