mc cable in storage shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyle78

I don't know why I'm drawing a blank here. 330.10 (A) mentiones wet locations, but not DAMP locations. I have a storage shed area (inluding a leantoo) that meets the def of damp location. Would I be better off just using pvc coated m/c and be safe than sorry?

Volta

As someone here recently pointed out, many MC connectors are listed and labeled for 'dry locations only'.

So the MC may not be disallowed from use in the damp locations, but the connectors may be.

boyle78

Why not just use pvc?

I mentioned that...and the H.O. didn't like the look of pipe in an old storage shed/ barn ...he likes the look of the mc cable to stay with the "rustic" look. The H.O. changes his mind with the weather so I was thinking mc would give me some flexability all around.......so are there wet location mc fittings?

Volta

I mentioned that...and the H.O. didn't like the look of pipe in an old storage shed/ barn ...he likes the look of the mc cable to stay with the "rustic" look. The H.O. changes his mind with the weather so I was thinking mc would give me some flexability all around.......so are there wet location mc fittings?

Yes, but maybe only for MC with a corrosion-resistant jacket over the metallic sheath.

cadpoint

As someone here recently pointed out, many MC connectors are listed and labeled for 'dry locations only'.

So the MC may not be disallowed from use in the damp locations, but the connectors may be.

If one reads 300's where MC is allowed why would the connector be the limiting factor if the MC is allowed? I've read this before, not sitting at a book but I just wanted to say...

Frankly I recall it wet and exposed is allowed.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The standard mc cable is not suitable for wet location.

I remember when FMC use to be suitable for wet location but I see it has changed in 2008 code.

Here is what the NEC says about MC

330.10(A)(11) In wet locations where any of the following conditions are met:
a. The metallic covering is impervious to moisture.
b. A lead sheath or moisture-impervious jacket is provided under the metal covering.
c. The insulated conductors under the metallic covering are listed for use in wet locations and a corrosion-resistant jacket is provided over the metallic sheath.

Volta

The standard mc cable is not suitable for wet location.

I remember when FMC use to be suitable for wet location but I see it has changed in 2008 code.

Here is what the NEC says about MC

But as the OP did say that this was a damp location, I don't know of any compliant beyond the fittings, depending. There is 314.15. Need to use fittings equipped so as to prevent the entrance of moisture. If the indended fittings are clearly labeled "dry locations only" (they might not be, or we may not be able to read it through the rust ;)), is is doubtful that they are equipped to prevent the entrance of moisture (think fog).

macmikeman

I gotta call up Carrier and Trane. Ever look past the fan blades inside an outdoor AC compressor? Either it is just plain thhn or mc cable that they use to feed to the fan motor out there in wetsville...... Ya, I know, manufacturer's do not have to follow the nec when they build those things. I just think its funny that its ok to get wire wet there, but not someplace else.

Status
Not open for further replies.