2 speed attic fan motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I'm a little sticker-shocked, need 1/2 hp 2/speed whole house attic fan motor, so far they're around $225. Would anyone suggest how to find one on the internet? thanks.

kwired

Electron manager
If it is an OEM motor that a universal replacement will not readily fit it may cost that much or more to make necessary modifications anyhow.

OEM or not, i think that motor still needs to have a frame size, and other important data to verify a similar or exact replacement on the NAMEPLATE of the motor itself. (all though the nameplate is not mandated to be a metal stamp plate, riveted to the casing, sometimes they are not legible). Fractional HP motors are a little different than most, but its worth a try anyhow.

Maybe a local motor rewinding shop has the motor your looking for sitting on their shelf...or can rewind that one....

Most swamp coolers and exhaust fans around here are 2 speed motors, Graingers has hundreds of 2 speed motors, most are reasonably priced.

At times in the past I have had to buy an entire new fan assembly, just to rob parts for a repair (cuz it was cheaper than the replacement parts----- strange, yes.... however it is true).

IF all else fails, then try the manufacturer of the fan and see if they carry replacement parts for their product.

Last edited:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm a little sticker-shocked, need 1/2 hp 2/speed whole house attic fan motor, so far they're around $225. Would anyone suggest how to find one on the internet? thanks.
You get what you pay for. In this thread it was suggested to get one where the fan is remote from the ceiling, that's what I would recommend, though I've not installed one yet.

kwired

Electron manager
OEM or not, i think that motor still needs to have a frame size, and other important data to verify a similar or exact replacement on the NAMEPLATE of the motor itself.

IF all else fails, then try the manufacturer of the fan and see if they carry replacement parts for their product.

If it is part of some equipment they can put whatever motor they wish on it. Would it be nice for all small motors to comply with standard frame sizes and other specifications? Yes. I can't tell you how many times I have run into a small motor that looks a lot like others I have seen but always have that one little detail that makes them different like a wiring harness, or different mounting method, three thru bolts instead of four, special shaft size or length and you will either buy the pricey OEM or spend just as much making modifications to make the universal type work.

I have even seen well known brands of motors with a catalog number on the nameplate, but it is not searchable or able to be cross referenced because it was made specifically for the equipment manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.