2011 nec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

May require a nutral at the switch location (with a couple of exceptions).
I was wondering if one could run a three wire from a receptacle (to switch it) and simply cap off the nutral. Whadaya think :cool:

480sparky

Would be legal.

I'll just continue running the circuit into the switch box first, then up to the light and around the room to the receps like I always have.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
May require a nutral at the switch location (with a couple of exceptions).
I was wondering if one could run a three wire from a receptacle (to switch it) and simply cap off the nutral. Whadaya think :cool:

Absolutely.

This is simply a waste of materials and natural resources and a benifit to wire manufacturers. :roll:

Roger

480sparky

Absolutely.

This is simply a waste of materials and natural resources and a benifit to wire manufacturers. :roll:

Roger

No, it's for the benefit of the lo-voltage industry. They've been submitting proposals for years to require a neutral in switch boxes. Seems they're too lazy to run their own wiring, so it's gonna fall on us to do it for them.

This will give them a proper neutral to use for the fancy dimmer switches and controllers they install in switch boxes, instead of them cheating and using the bare ground.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No, it's for the benefit of the lo-voltage industry. They've been submitting proposals for years to require a neutral in switch boxes. Seems they're too lazy to run their own wiring, so it's gonna fall on us to do it for them.

This will give them a proper neutral to use for the fancy dimmer switches and controllers they install in switch boxes, instead of them cheating and using the bare ground.

And if so, it seems to me that this would be a design issue.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
That's been the rubber-stamp response of the CMP for decades. Maybe they just got tired of reading the same proposal every three years and caved in.

Yeah, I can't wait for the storage shed industry to start a campaign to have a 100 amp feeder installed and capped off in every back yard of new homes just in case someone decides to put a shop in some time in the future. ;)

Roger

480sparky

Yeah, I can't wait for the storage shed industry to start a campaign to have a 100 amp feeder installed and capped off in every back yard of new homes just in case someone decides to put a shop in some time in the future. ;)

Roger

shush.gif
Don't give 'em any ideas!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is really to correct a problem that UL created when they permitted devices like occupancy sensors to use the equipment grounding conductor as the neural for the power supply in the device.

volt101

Don is right. The leakage current that is limited to .5 milliamps on the EGC has created a problem as the amount of dimmers on one circuit has increased since the advancement of cfl's and led's. You will find that new dimmers will have a grounded conductor termination on them. That will pose new challenges when doing a replacement of an old two wire dimmer.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
You will find that new dimmers will have a grounded conductor termination on them. That will pose new challenges when doing a replacement of an old two wire dimmer.
No more than when a customer would like a threeway added to a single pole switching setup. Right now, you either run new wire or get different switches to accomplish that.

I think the neutral wire requirement idea is bogus, I don't see why the potential for future dimmers gets special treatment, while we are not required to prewire for any other device.

glene77is

Guys,

So, have we decided this is a "Design Issue" ?
Seems to me it is.

All aimed at Safety.
Along the lines of 6'/12' distances on recepticals
so that people are not forced to use extended extension cords.
Along the lines of prohibiting under-counter-Ledge (6") recepticals
so that peoples knees don't yank on the extension cords.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.