Best way to terminate stranded wire on screw terminals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon456

What is the best way to terminate stranded wire on screw terminals (e.g., switches and receptacles). What I usually see is the wire is partially stripped, leaving a small piece of insulation on the end of the wire to keep the strands together. But what I also often see is the little piece of insulation becomes missing and then there are bare strands of unraveling wire sticking out from the screw.

I prefer switches and receptacles with pressure-plate connections and I will buy those for new installations or replacements. But for old wiring when there are only screw terminal connections, what do you recommend?

Cold Fusion

What is the best way to terminate stranded wire on screw terminals (e.g., switches and receptacles). What I usually see is the wire is partially stripped, leaving a small piece of insulation on the end of the wire to keep the strands together. But what I also often see is the little piece of insulation becomes missing and then there are bare strands of unraveling wire sticking out from the screw.

I prefer switches and receptacles with pressure-plate connections and I will buy those for new installations or replacements. But for old wiring when there are only screw terminal connections, what do you recommend?
milspec nylon crimp lugs - with a decent (ratcheting) crimper

cf

dicklaxt

Agreed add the fork tongue crimp ons,electrician friends I have claim it is also a more positive termination,makes sense to me:)

dick

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would use pressure plate devices. Although fork terminals are good there's a lot of wasted labor in installing them on every conductor.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician

I was taught to leave the insulation on the end of the conductor. In order to get the strands to stay together, one must back twist the conductor. I take my side cutters and Reverse the twist of the wire before I make the termination.

iwire

Staff member
Phillips or flat?

Sometimes it is better to figure things out on your own. ;)

I am just amazed by the amount of times this question come up. :confused:

It is not brain surgery, we are just talking about terminating a stranded wire to a device that is listed for use with stranded wire. This is a task any electrician should be able to do well without additional parts. :)

Cold Fusion

...It is not brain surgery, we are just talking about terminating a stranded wire to a device that is listed for use with stranded wire. This is a task any electrician should be able to do well without additional parts.
Ahhh - yes. I can see how that would be true for houses or commercial buildings.

cf

iwire

Staff member
Here are the tools I use. (Ignore the red on the neutral side, that is not the point:grin:)

020.jpg

I will never be convinced a fork terminal will provide an elastically better connection then what I already have.

Fork terminals simply look nicer.

Cold Fusion

would it be different terminating a stranded wire to a device that is listed for use with stranded wire in an industrial application ?:confused:
Keep in mind that I don't do or spec much in the way of wall switches or receptacle installation. For the equipment I do work, the max downside to a failure is lots of money and maybe crap up the environment - probably no bodies though.

The general spec is stranded wire and if the device doesn't have a pressure plate, the wire gets a lug. Truthfully, if the device did not have a pressure plate and was listed for stranded wire, probably no one would notice - the wires would get a lug.

Also, in truth, I don't have a clue what the electricians put behind the wall plates, or receptacles - I've never looked. I would guess back-wired fed spec with stranded conductors - no lugs.

That has been the spec for most all of my carreer, military, shipyard, industry - all the same.

It's so ingrained that's even what I do at home - milspec nylon, not vinyl, lugs - and a good ratcheting crimper. And that could easily be silly overkill.

I have also concluded I am not qualified to have an opinion on this thread (truth)

cf

Last edited:

Strife

The best way would be fork connectors. However in the last couple years the manufacturers came with these receptacles that have a plug similar to a computer cord plug and pigtails. I love those, but the cost is still pretty prohibitive. So the pressure plate would be the next choice.

yired29

I would use pressure plate devices. Although fork terminals are good there's a lot of wasted labor in installing them on every conductor.

I understand these devices are not tested with fork terminals as far as listing is concerned (UL).

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Here are the tools I use. (Ignore the red on the neutral side, that is not the point:grin:)

020.jpg

I will never be convinced a fork terminal will provide an elastically better connection then what I already have.

Fork terminals simply look nicer.

That's the way I do it when stranded is used, but then I don't use it my self, I always run solid. Just personal preference.

iwire

Staff member
I understand these devices are not tested with fork terminals as far as listing is concerned (UL).

That is an interesting point I have thought about it before but decided not to think to much on it. :)

It would pretty much rule out the use of forks, rings or pins on any listed electrical device. Is a1000 amp breaker listed for use with Pin terminals?

Cold Fusion

... It would pretty much rule out the use of forks, rings or pins on any listed electrical device. Is a1000 amp breaker listed for use with Pin terminals?
I hope so. That's one of the few way to connect fine strand conductors to a mechanical lug. Most cb lugs, pressure plate style included) are not listed to accept fine strand.

cf

Strife

Not a proven one (evidence), rather empirical.
If by "another point of failure" you mean people not crimping the fork connectors right, even the plug and play devices are not fool proof. Seriously, I've seen these devices where people were strong, not smart(they pushed the connector backward till it went in). No, SERIOUSLY, I wish I took a picture.
You can't build a foolproof method, someone will build a better idiot.

Do you have any evidence to support that? :)

Why does adding another point of failure make it better?

I will conceded the connection will look nicer.

Status
Not open for further replies.