patch a double sheetrock ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know of a quick way to plug a 4" hole in a double sheetronk ceiling and still keep my fire rating? The plug will be covered by a medallion so appearance is not an issue.

Thank you,

Jim

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Cut two 4" square pieces of sheetrock
Insert a 1x4 strip of wood about 8" long so that it lays ontop of the sheetrock
Put 2 long screws just outside the hole thru the two layers of sheetrock into the 1x4
Install the first piece of sheetrock and screw it to the 1x4
Mud it and then do the same with the second piece.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Easier said than done.
How can you get a 6" patch through the 4" hole?

The top hole being the last layer of sheetrock-- that has a 6"hole the first layer (I called the bottom) has the 4" hole. Now why would you need to get the 6" rock thru the 4" hole? :-?

Yes and I am that good. :grin: At least I tell myself that.

I didn't know about the overlap--- so whatever it is cut the top hole (last sheetrock layer) with the appropriate size hole.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

I didn't know about the overlap--- so whatever it is cut the top hole (last sheetrock layer) with the appropriate size hole.
The overlap (staggering) in fire rated drywall desing is generally 16" or 24" o.c. because of the stud/joist/rafter spacing. Yet consider the fact that you can't stagger a corner ;)

For more info go to http://www.gypsum.org/download.html and see the first downloadable document.

Here's some info on patching...

http://www.gypsum.org/pdf/225-08.pdf
http://www.nationalgypsum.com/resources/techtalk/firerated.aspx

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The overlap (staggering) in fire rated drywall desing is generally 16" or 24" o.c. because of the stud/joist/rafter spacing. Yet consider the fact that you can't stagger a corner ;)

All I can say is wow-- I guess if there were lots of holes to patch it would be an isuue but for one patch being covered with a medallion???? Yikes- I believe I may have to turn the other check on this one. :)

But thanks for that info. I don't run into fire rated problems too often

Ravenvalor

box

box

Why not put in a rated box with a blank cover? you are going to cover it anyway.

All of these replies are awe-inspiring, thank you.

I have to do 55 - of these holes in this ceiling and I am looking for a time saving solution. This is a 4" round hole I am making with a hole saw because it is quicker. I need a nice size hole about 4" and if it would be nice to find an octagon box with ears and a popin feature.

Thanks.

M_J_C

All of these replies are awe-inspiring, thank you.

I have to do 55 - of these holes in this ceiling and I am looking for a time saving solution. This is a 4" round hole I am making with a hole saw because it is quicker. I need a nice size hole about 4" and if it would be nice to find an octagon box with ears and a popin feature.

Thanks.

I hate using this word, but to save time I am going to assume that you are not installing the rated box, and that the medallion is 7" in diameter or larger, or you get a drywall finisher.

What I have done in the past is to cut a 6.5" hole (use a recessed light hole saw) in the first layer of wallboard, then change over to to the 4" hole saw for the second hole through the top layer of wallboard using the same pilot hole that you made while drilling the first hole.

Do your work, I would assume you're fishing wires or cables.

Cut some metal track about 12" long a slide it up in the hole, center it and screw in place, screw the 4" plug in place, mud or fire caulk the gap, then screw the 6.5" hole in place and do the same.

Never had a complaint from any inspector, and meets any code that I know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.