Hanging Pendants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Article 90.1

Browse through the Caddy and Arlington websites and catalogs. The last job we used Caddy 512's but they require more labor than some of the newer models. The 512HD is a better product, and the Arlington FBRS415 is another option.

Personally, I believe that any of our fixtures shall be independently supported, which is also a NEC requirement. But just about all of our competitors here don't support the fixtures, which can be hard to compete against on bid price.

When I worked in NJ, however, there was no question, your fixture was either independently supported, or you got a red sticker! I didn't mind playing that game, because everyone everyone had the same rule book (the previous statement is only accurate if applied to the level of market that we played in, there were definitely still hack-o-matics out there).

Paledious

Browse through the Caddy and Arlington websites and catalogs. The last job we used Caddy 512's but they require more labor than some of the newer models. The 512HD is a better product, and the Arlington FBRS415 is another option.

Thanks for the reply. I am very familiar with those products, we use them all the time. (BTW, the 512HD is much better than the 512.)

What I meant was the ceiling is 2x2 grid only with no tiles. Main ceiling being painted black at 15 ft. AFF with the grid only ceiling at 13 ft. AFF. Pendants would hang at 7' 8" AFF.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on the best way to deal with this installation.

krisinjersey

Before

Before

Install your mounting hardware before hand and let the painters paint it so it "disappears". I'd lean toward wiremold shallow boxes. to keep a lower profile. Or pipe and 4" square boxes with round rings. You're going to get good with the plumb bob.;)

growler

Anyone have any tips on hanging pendants in a 2x2 open grid ceiling?

Most of the time when a designer comes up with something like the open grid look they already have a pretty good idea of how the finished product should look.

I like the idea of mounting the boxes to the main ceiling and just let the pendants hang through the grid. but that may not be what the customer wants.

I would try to find out what the customer/designer expects to see as a finished product before doing any work.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

Personally, I believe that any of our fixtures shall be independently supported, which is also a NEC requirement. But just about all of our competitors here don't support the fixtures, which can be hard to compete against on bid price.

When I worked in NJ, however, there was no question, your fixture was either independently supported, or you got a red sticker! I didn't mind playing that game, because everyone everyone had the same rule book (the previous statement is only accurate if applied to the level of market that we played in, there were definitely still hack-o-matics out there).

What exactly do you mean by individually supported? A fixture box? Thanks

Article 90.1

Oops! I read that you only had a 2'x2' space, but I've quit coffee this week and just passed it by. If the box must be at the grid level, either strut, or 1/4 threaded rod. 1/2" rigid to another box at ceiling level is another option, like you see on high bays. Rigid would be kind of pricy, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.