Propane fill station classification

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to classify a 500 gal propane tank and pump system used to fill 20 lb grill sized propane tanks. I am thinking it qualifies as a Bulk Storage Plant, Art. 515.1 Scope.

I am concerned with connecting the pump motor to the galvanized conduit running underground to a stop button 15 feet away. I would like to use a 3-foot flexible conduit.

If I am on the money so far, I believe Table 515.3 drum and container filling would apply. This would make this a Class I Division 2 Zone 2 area. Art 501.10 B 2 Flexible Connections states that it is permissible to use (3) Liquidtight flexible metal conduit with listed fittings. If I am still on track, the definition of ?listed fittings? does this refer to listed as liquidtight or explosion proof?

Lastly, Seals. If still on track. Per 501.15 B, I would need to place a seal both at the pump motor j box and the boundary where the conduit attaches to the housing for the stop button.

All assistance is appreciated.
Dj

cw4crosby

cw4crosby

cw4crosby

I recently had a situation with a propane refill station where the Fire Marshall said that the underground conduit did not need to be rigid underground within 20 feet of the tank. He only wanted the pipe to be rigid where it comes above the ground. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.