2P GFCI Breaker serving one yoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Can a 2 pole 20A GFCI breaker serve a duplex receptacle with hot tab broken? For example, duplex receptacle with 20A cir on top for toaster and 20A cir on the bottom for waffle iron?

Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Can a 2 pole 20A GFCI breaker serve a duplex receptacle with hot tab broken? For example, duplex receptacle with 20A cir on top for toaster and 20A cir on the bottom for waffle iron?

Thanks.

A dp gfci breaker can serve a MWBC. Isn't that what you are doing? Should work fine.

480sparky

I did an entire apartment building like that.

They all had studio apartments, and each kitchen only had 3' of countertop space.

chris kennedy

Occupation
Thanks all, couldn't wrap my head around that, never tied it.

Gus, I buy my receptacles at True Value. I pay $1.49 for a 15A duplex.:)

iwire

Staff member
I did an entire apartment building like that.

They all had studio apartments, and each kitchen only had 3' of countertop space.

I betting a two gang box with two GFCI receptacles would be cheaper but I am sure there was a reason you wanted to use a two pole GFCI.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
It is interesting to me that this is code compliant?
I qualify upfront that I am no code expert and have no recent practical experience in this area.

My surprise is that the device is probably rated for 125VAC and in a sense you are applying 240V ac to that single yoke device? The opposite phase (leg) hot terminals are only separated by the breakout.

In a "more common" application the voltage on the other terminal (using a breakout) might be a switch leg that is on the same phase (or leg).

Not saying this application is not fine. I was just surprised to hear that it is.

480sparky

It is interesting to me that this is code compliant?
I qualify upfront that I am no code expert and have no recent practical experience in this area.

My surprise is that the device is probably rated for 125VAC and in a sense you are applying 240V ac to that single yoke device? The opposite phase (leg) hot terminals are only separated by the breakout.

In a "more common" application the voltage on the other terminal (using a breakout) might be a switch leg that is on the same phase (or leg).

Not saying this application is not fine. I was just surprised to hear that it is.

You are only supplying 120 volts to each receptacle. Each receptacle is rated for 120 volts. How are you plugging in a 240-v load?

This installation is perfectly legal, using the 2-pole breaker per 210.4(B).

chris kennedy

Occupation
Another question.

Another question.

This is an existing install in a commercial restaurant. There are a number of duplexes with both tabs broken, two ungrounded and two grounded conductors terminated on each. I'm guessing I can pigtail both grounded conductors together in the panel then to the breaker. Is this correct?

iwire

Staff member
That will do it. :)

Or you could put a GFCI receptacle in each box alternating which circuit you pick up. IMO this would be a more reliable design and less prone to nuisance tripping due to cumulative leakage current of a number of pieces of a equipment all connected to one GFCI device.

chris kennedy

Occupation
That will do it. :)

Or you could put a GFCI receptacle in each box alternating which circuit you pick up. IMO this would be a more reliable design and less prone to nuisance tripping due to cumulative leakage current of a number of pieces of a equipment all connected to one GFCI device.

Agreed, yet space is limited on this food prep line and devices would be hard to get at to reset. Trying to make a bad design 210.4 compliant with VE.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
[...] duplexes with both tabs broken, two ungrounded and two grounded conductors terminated on each.[...]

If the neutral is not shared, then you could use two single pole GFCIs. This would probably be cheaper and help reduce nuisance tripping.

You would need to deal with the issue of two circuits landing on a single yoke. I don't think that you are required to have common trip, just simultaneous disconnection, which could be provided by a handle tie. You could also change the wiring so that each duplex was on one circuit and you alternate circuits between duplexes.

-Jon

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
You are only supplying 120 volts to each receptacle. Each receptacle is rated for 120 volts. How are you plugging in a 240-v load?

This installation is perfectly legal, using the 2-pole breaker per 210.4(B).
I never said anything about a 240V load.
I just mentioned that there is 240V present at the single yoke device that is rated for 125V. As I said I accept your knowledge that it is legal as I have no first hand experience with such an install.
Just surprised me is all.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I just mentioned that there is 240V present at the single yoke device that is rated for 125V.
Remember that most receptacles' ratings are based on slot configuration, and not current-carrying or insulative parts' capacities.

Status
Not open for further replies.